Chapter Thirty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Damian expanded, "After the incident with the Titans tower, placing magical wards upon other bases appeared a reasonable suggestion. After all, the attack was heavily aided by magic to allow the projectiles through the Tower barriers without detection before they struck."

"Even with the protective measures we have in place?"

Adyn nodded in answer to Vic's question, "Yes. There is no way your defences could hope to withstand the force of an Earth weapon infused with magical energy, or any preternatural weaponry for that matter.", he shook his head. "No, no. This building wouldn't survive any attack of that kind."

In a semi-circle by the entrance with the other Leaguers, Batman listened as his son, Raven and the demon laid out the situation, briefly covering the effects of these 'wards' and the process in creating them.

By the time Adyn, with his pinkish curls bouncing, had concluded his part, the Justice League found no issue with the case. All members present (Batman, Wonderwoman, Cyborg, The Flash, Superman and Green Lantern) gave unanimous consent for the three -plus Zatanna and Constantine, when they decided to show up- to do as they pleaded regarding wards.

***

Through a vortex of amber rimmed with age-old runes, Constantine sauntered, closely followed by Zatanna- who clutched rather odd looking sticks in her hand. They contained the same working patterns of wood, and appeared to be made of the stuff, however, were ramrod straight, like staffs, and a few inches taller than the female magician. Strangely enough, the bottom quarter was entirely white, as though someone had stuck a wad of chalk there- which wouldn't be incorrect.

"Finally, you're here.", Raven sighed, pushing a strand of hair in to her hood, "You have the rods?",

Squinting against the near-sunset light, John grinned, "That we do, love, that we do."

Huffing, Zatanna shoved the rods in to his arms, nearly catching the blonde Liverpudlian off balance.

Under her breath, the black-haired magician muttered, "You mean 'I' do. Ass."

"Oi, oi! I had to-"

Damian interjected, "Tt. We'll be proceeding now."

In the 'courtyard' of the Hall of Justice, the five of them spaced themselves accordingly, each clutching a white-tipped staff. The declining sun casting their shadows upon the slate-grey ground, the three demons and two magicians assumed a pentagonal formation, each one roughly three meters away from the two closest.

Pulling off his light, lengthy coat, Constantine called, "Not one line can be out of place, remember.", he shifted the wooden rod to his right hand, the height of it reaching past his head. "Timing is irrelevant, so go at your own speed, but be precise."

As an afterthought, he commented, "But don't take all day, right, cause I want an early night."

Zatanna scoffed, "You? An early night?"

The blonde gave her a look as though to say, 'Really. Are you taking the piss?"

Rolling his eyes at the magicians, Damian shared an exasperated glance with his kind-of-friend, Raven.

"If you two are quite finished...", Raven redirected.

Once more in task, John gave them leave to begin, himself and Zatanna immediately beginning to draw the first rune of the pattern on the ground: a circle, roughly a meter in diameter. However, both looked up as Robin, Raven and Adyn hadn't moved a muscle.

A crease finding its way to her brow, Zatanna tipped her hat up, "Why aren't you guys starting?"

The three stared at one another before Adyn answered for them.

Demons (Damirae)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara