Welcome to Hell

I'm about to hang the new mirror I want to use to bundle the rays of the sun from the little window in the basement to experiment with it as the door swings open.

I startle at the sudden entrance of my Lord and the mirror slips out of my hands and shatters at the concrete floor. My eyes widen. Oh no. Seven years of bad luck are a pretty long time and I have no time for that. I need to get to my breakthrough as the best vampire doctor alive or undead. I really should have locked my door.

"Dr. Johnson? Everything's alright?", Lord Blackwood asks politely and his ice-blue eyes search for mine as I hurry down the ladder and bow deep in front of him. 

"Yes, Sir. I beg to excuse my clumsiness, my lord.", wiping off the sweat of my forehead. "I'm here for the results.", he reminds me as I keep on staring at the ground, lost in thoughts about the broken mirror.

"Yes, Sir!", I repeat myself before starting the toxic report I worked on for about a week to be as thorough as possible. His first royal guard in line, Ethan, got poisoned. Unfortunately, our Lord gave him a lesson and marked him by drinking his blood. A common way to show dominance as I was told. It resulted in him also getting a share of the substance, because the guard tried to hide the whole extent of his misery. Both are strong and of course totally fine.

"That's your story?", his eyes are cold and I'm confused. "I'm sorry, Sir?"

"I told you in the beginning not to lie to me about Ethan and your experiments with him!", his voice like a rolling thunderstorm and I pale. "But, Sir... I did never...", I start to stammer. Ethan obviously hid behind the lie that I wanted to test the substance.

"Shut up, Erwin!" Oh, Oh. My first name means something is about to come over me. "I won't tolerate this amount of audacity you show!" He takes the rack of vessels with several blood tests in it and throws it at the wall behind me.

"My Lord! I beg you to believe me, I really never did test this substance on anybody!", I try to get heard, but he just keeps on ranting.

"I won't tolerate that you do experiments at my best man!", another piece of my equipment comes flying at me and I start to move to escape my Lord's anger. 

"Consider yourself done here!", he growls while flipping over the silver bier in the middle of the laboratory. "My Lord!", another try, but it's useless and I cover my head.  

"Guards!", he calls for help and I'm not sure what to do. "Bring him into the dungeons until he gets the meaning of the word 'truth'!", he orders and the two of them grab my arms harsh. "No, don't! Please! My Lord!"

I didn't do anything wrong! All I did was to break a mirror.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note: I know - Ethan? You heard that before. If not you never read the Heritage of the Doomed ;) 

This is written for #flashfangfiction and is a glimpse of what happens while my main character in the book "Hidden Truths - Ethan" is... a bit tied up. *haha