Those You Thought You Lost

Start from the beginning

"She looks like she could be Jack's sister," Sarah says and Davey nods.

"I'm glad you're seeing it too. I thought I was losing my mind a little bit," Davey says and both girls laugh.

"I'se has dis picture of some people. Dey's my family, but I'se was tiny an don't remember da oldah boy in da picture," says Elley, pulling a picture out of the pocket of her knee length skirt. She hands it to Davey and Sarah. The two siblings share a look.

"That looks a lot like a younger Jack Kelly," says Sarah, "I'm going to take it to him and see."

"No," Davey interrupts.

"No?"Sarah asks and Davey nods.

"Elley should be the one to show him, but you and I can go with her," Davey explains, "This is her family that she could be finding here and not ours."

"I want to see it happen!" Sarah protests and Davey shakes his head.

"They will tell us if they are related or not, now stop bothering me about it!" Davey demands and the two siblings turn to see Elley and the picture gone.

"Where did she go?" Sarah asks. She pokes her head out the window and looks around on the fire escape. "Elley?" Both siblings begin frantically looking around the apartment for the potentially younger Kelly and cannot find her anywhere. Meanwhile, Elley stands on the street beneath the fire escape and watches the two frazzled siblings. She starts walking down the street when suddenly, a strong pair of arms grabs her. Before she can even think, Elley is pinned against the wall of a building.

"Well, Oscar. Look what I'se found!" A male voice calls out and Elley rolls her eyes and cross her arms.

"Ain't she a pretty ting?" The boy named Oscar murmurs and Elley quirks an eyebrow.

"I'se a person, not a thing," Elley says matter of factly, "Any guy who calls a girl a thing ain't worth a second look. Much less a foirst." Both of the boys raise their eyebrows and their expressions change from terrifyingly flirtatious to downright evil. 

"We'se gonna teach ya ta shut your pretty little mouth. Cause obviously, ya don't know how," Oscar says.

"She ain't gettin acquainted wid your fist, Delancey!" A new voice shouts and Elley takes the distraction to throw a punch at him. Oscar Delancey takes the punch and then gives Elley three that hurt twice as bad. Elley doubles over in pain, but Oscar continues to attack her.

"Help me teach her a lesson, Morris!" Oscar yells and the other boy joins until he is yanked away from Elley. A boy dressed like a Newsie starts punching Morris and Elley finds the strength to fight Oscar back. She is not very good at warding him off, but she distracts him long enough for her hero to start attacking Oscar too. The Newsie eventually pins the Delanceys up against the wall and punches each of them in the face before saying,

"Dat was real lousy of youse ta attack a goil like dat, ya know?" Elley nurses her fist which is very sore after the rough fight. Two of her knuckles are purple with bruises and she can already feel bruises spreading on her stomach. What did she get herself into?  Elley pushes away from the wall and walks over towards her hero, favoring her bruised hand.

"Like youse one ta talk, Myers. Youse attacks goils with kisses. Might as well be us that gives this goil her first kiss," Oscar says and Elley crosses her arms.

"I'se ain't gettin kissed by anybody. I'se don't need ta be kissed by anyone ta be happy," Elley snarls and all three boys notice her again. The boy's eyes look her over before turning back to deal with the Delanceys.