Those You Thought You Lost

Mulai dari awal

"If I told my mother, she wouldn't let me work an I wouldn't be able to help out my family. Plus, da boss ain't gonna like it if dis gets around. He said it was an accident."

"Ain't evah an accident wid him. Youse in trouble." 

"I know, but I really should not push it with him."

"I'se was just fired an I'se got nothing ta lose. I'm busting youse out."  Clara shakes her head.

"I need to provide for my family somehow. I'm staying here even if it means bad things could happen to me," She says and Elley hugs her friend. The two girls hug tightly, neither one wanting to let go.

"I'se gonna miss ya," Elley says as they hug and she feels Clara's tears running onto her tight shirt. The clothes so tight that they made the girls appear well fed and taken care of when they were anything and everything otherwise. Suddenly, the door to the bunkroom of the factory bursts open and a voice begins shouting at the girls. Clara quickly closes the window and runs away while Elley hurries down the fire escape. Unfortunately, Elley is not quiet enough on her descent to the ground and her former boss pokes her head out the window.

"Thought I told ya to stay away from here!" He yells and Elley jumps to the ground.

"Youse ain't gonna get away wid what youse doin here!" Elley shouts before running off into the night. She runs down streets and up others when she hears voices. Knowing that being out on the street at night is never very safe for a young woman, Elley jumps to the lowest rungs of a nearby fire escape.  Using her strong athletic body, she starts pulling herself up rung by rung. Elley passes one landing and then another. She finally stops at one a couple floors down from the rooftop. The lights are on this apartment and she peers into see a couple of beds in the room. A teenage girl is sitting at a small vanity set and Elley notices her own reflection in the mirror. She ducks away from the window, but is too late. The girl inside the room gasps and runs to the window. Elley tries to get away and starts running up the stairs to the next landing, but the girl catches her.

"Hey! You! What are you doing looking into our apartment? There's nothing here that a thief would want to steal," The girl shouts and Elley groans. She turns around and walks back down to the landing where the girl is standing.

"I'se ain't lookin for trouble. Just a way ta get off da street," Elley says and the girl's eyes widen when she sees Elley in the light.

"You're a girl! What are you doing out on the streets this late at night?" She asks and Elley crosses her arms.

"Got thrown out of a factory," She says matter of factly, "My name's Elley, by the way."

"I'm Sarah. Sarah Jacobs. Do you need a place to stay?" She asks and Elley nods.

"Yea, dat would be nice," Elley says quietly and Sarah invites her into the bedroom.

"Sarah, Mama and I were just..." A boy enters the room and immediately stops when he sees Elley in the room. "Who is she?"

"I'se Elley. What's your name, handsome?" Elley asks with a hint of flirtatiousness in her voice.

"David Jacobs, but my friends call me Davey," Davey answers and Elley walks a little bit closer to him.

"I'se glad ya consider us as friends already. I'se considers myself ta be a very friendly person," Elley says and Davey blushes a little bit. After a moment, Davey cocks his head and looks at Elley in a different way.
"Sarah, come look at this," Davey says and Sarah walks over. The two siblings look at Elley and Sarah soon has a similar look on her face to the one that Davey has.