‡ Chapter 25 ‡

Começar do início

“Yes,” I snapped.  “They do.  Clouds give me erectіons. Is that another problem?”

He stuttered, “H-how is that—don’t you mean you’re...wet?”

“No. I get dry,” I said blankly. 

He made circular motions in his temples.  “Just go get ready.  We’re leaving soon.”

“Good idea,” I muttered and hurried away before I blurted other nonsense. 

Entering the plane, I realized it was a good idea not to tell Romane about Levi’s visit.  It would only cause him more stress, questioning how and where he snuck in, and especially another ‘I hate Levi, blah, blah, blah’ rant. 

Which I wouldn’t mind hearing since I despise that sly bastard.  My mind visiting the burning hatred for that man produced thicker veins across my knuckles.  I voiced my thoughts into hushed profanity, sickened by Levi’s actions.

“He never misses,” I rambled.  “Of course he never misses.  You really thought Levi would kill you?  Stupid, stupid girl Jess.  He was mocking you—teasing you—giving a taste of the pain he wished to inflict.  He put a bullet through me to give a message.  How he could have killed me—right there and centre, ending my misery and anxiety—but instead wanted me to feel the pain; allowed my arm to hurt, to have me vulnerable and confused like his dog, have me pathetic under his words, to have me weakened when I recognize my mistake of not killing him, and to most of all, have me live on to believe he’s torturing me a little longer; thinking I have hope to survive and escape him, where really he could appear at any moment and end me."

Levi had me.  He controlled me.  Had me under that unknown spell outside.  I should have murdered him.  But he had me. 

Had me.

I was okay now.

So far.

If Levi thought we were one big happy family, at least he was right about one thing.  I took out the 212, stroking my fingers along the golden embroidery and metal. This was my baby.  And my baby and I, were gonna kick daddy’s ass.     

+++

I was surprised the uniforms weren’t white.  Smoothing down the opaque latex jumpsuit, I scooped up my bulky hair into a ponytail and met Romane in the silent lobby. 

A line of identically dressed soldiers stared ahead, blank expressions making them seem robotic.  Large helmets covered their heads, only the eyes visible through orange tint.  Romane stood in the front, inspecting each member with that cold gaze I first feared.  Now it simply enlightened me. 

“Romane, turn that frown upside down!” I crooned sweetly. 

His made a serious Poker Face that could shame Lady Gaga.  “Do not test me, wildcat.  Get in line.”