CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT: SURPRISE ME (edited)

Start from the beginning

"At this time, did she look like she was unhappy?"

"Shy maybe, but never did she look abused; every time she came, she always stole glances at Felix. She tried to hide it, but I saw it."

She paused for a while as if she were reminiscing, then stared back at the state prosecutor and smiled at him.

"She was in love, but she didn't know it yet."

Her testimony gripped my heart. I guess everyone knew we were meant to be, but Cindy and I were too blind to see it.

"Mrs. Harper, did you notice anything out of the ordinary?"

"I'm sorry, but can you be a little clearer?"

"Has Mr. Felix done anything illegal?"

"Not that I know of."

"Has anyone brought anyone that looked dodgy into the firm?"

"Yes, he has."

The courtroom roared, and even I couldn't believe that Mrs. Harper was turning her back on me, someone who I thought was like a mother to me.

"Quiet, quiet in the courtroom!"

The judge yelled.

"Can you mention the person's name or names?"

"Well, the first one was that snake, Sharen, who clearly used Felix when he was younger. See, they had a relationship, and I wasn't too happy with it in the first place. Oh, and let's not forget Kyle, that leech who always sucked Felix of his money, always borrowing money, and Felix always having to bail him out of trouble... useless, if I must say.

The state prosecutor was stunned at a loss for words at everything that Mrs. Harper had to say, but anyone who knew Mrs. Harper knew that she would always tell the truth. That is why I kept her at the firm; I knew her, and I knew that she meant well.

"Well, thank you, Mrs. Harper. You may step off the witness stand."

"Well, thank you very much."

The courtroom went through a grueling ordeal with the state prosecutor bringing forth witnesses who were my ex-employees with grudges who lied against me.

"Mr. Banks, so you're saying that all this is true and nothing but true?"

"Yes, it's all true that Felix is a crook. I tell you, there were months that he didn't pay me at all, but I continued to work because I loved my job."

"Thank you very much, Mr. Banks. You may leave the witness stand."

But before he could leave, my lawyer called him up to cross-examine him.

"So how long did you work for my client?"

"About a year."

"How was your relationship with my client?"

"Terrible. He was mean to everyone, and he was always bringing in females to the office, I tell you."

"And how would you rate yourself as a worker in that year you worked for my client?"

"I always did my best; I never did anything that would smear the company's reputation.

I rolled my eyes because I knew he was lying. Robert Banks was probably one of the laziest workers I've ever had at the firm; why I kept him that long, I didn't even know. But I have to personally hand him that letter saying that he was dismissed.

My lawyer looked through the list of papers that he had on his desk and picked up a few.

"Excuse me, your honor, but can you please look at this for me?"

The judge took the paper into his hands and stared at him, which made him raise his eyebrows as he was looking through the papers.

"Your honor I'm sure that from those papers you can see the dozens of complaints from his fellow colleagues stating different allegations ranging from sexual harassment, disruptive behavior, never being on time to work, and missing work weeks at a time without reason. Your honor, if you look at the document below, you'll also find proof of Mr. Bank's payment records. You'll see that he was always paid on time.

"Mr. Banks, you know that lying on oath is a crime punishable by a prison sentence."

He couldn't answer.

"Can someone please get this man out of her for obstructing the end of justice?"

I watched as the cops literally dragged him out of the courtroom while he was kicking and screaming. I breathed a sigh of relief that at least one liar was out of the way.

I knew I was running out of time, and I needed to do something quick to save my husband before it was too late.