We sat on the couch and started watching 'Haunting in Connecticut.' It was a very non scary horror movie.

"I want to break up," Audrey said.

It took me some time to process.

"Why?"

"I don't think we're good for each other," she said.

"We were good for each other for two years and now suddenly we're not. Audrey, where is this coming from? Did I do something wrong?"

"Look, you're an amazing guy but I don't think our relationship can become anything serious."

"I thought what we have is serious."

"Zack, please don't make this any harder than it already is," she said.

"Why shouldn't I? Things are going great and suddenly out of nowhere you want to break up!" I was on my feet.

"If this is about me breaking up with you then you can tell everyone that you were the one who ended things."

I gave her a look. "You really think that's why I am concerned?" I shook my head in disbelief.

Everything was going on great. We were happy, we didn't have any arguments and it was all good. Why this sudden decision?

"Is it about me not having a proper job?" I asked.

"Zack, no! I'm not that horrible a person. It has nothing to do with you."

"Well, I'm the one you're breaking up with. I'd think it has something to do with me."

"Zack, it's not a big deal. People break up all the time," she said.

"Just last Saturday you were dancing and talking to me so freely on my dad's wedding. The whole week was amazing. We had lunch and you were giving me advice. What happened in these two days?"

"Look, Mr. Woods was getting remarried. It was a big change for you and I didn't want to add to your worries," she said.

"Yeah it's so much better to hear it now," I said sarcastically.

"Audrey, if I did something wrong, please tell me. I'll try my best to make it better. Things will get better."

I didn't want to lose her. She had been my safe place for the past few weeks ever since dad proposed to Carmen and for the two years we were together. Things had been crazy but she was there with me.

"I'm sorry Zack," Audrey said.

I remembered all our past conversations and tried to think if I had said something or done something wrong. Nothing. We never had a fight. No complications in our relationship. I looked for all possible reasons for her to do this.

"Is there someone else?" I asked.

"Yes."

I was outraged. "You've been cheating on me?"

"I haven't been cheating on you! I don't know but I feel a spark between him and me that I've never felt with you."

"Spare me the details."

"I haven't said anything to him about it yet. It wouldn't be fair to you. I wanted to break things up with you first."

"I'm getting out of here," I said.

She didn't stop me.

***

I sat in Collin's room in his house drinking booze.

"I don't think your dad will like you showing up drunk at home two days after his marriage," Collin said.

"Can I stay over here for the night?" I asked.

"You don't even have to ask. We've been friends since we were five. Besides my parents aren't even home"

"I'll text my dad that I'm staying over here," I said.

"Let me go through the message once you're done typing," Collin said.

"I'm not that drunk yet."

Dad told me it was okay and to take care of myself. I didn't tell him about the break up. I needed to get over it myself first.

I sat with Collin and drowned myself in alcohol.

Author's Note

So I was initially planning to post this later but I felt like updating so here we are. What do you think of the break up? Please don't hesitate to leave your thoughts in the comments. Reading them makes me really happy. Feel free to point out any typos or grammatical errors.

Vote

Comment

Share

Have a great weekend!