Chapter 13

Sonic was uncomfortable. She saw Custodian approaching the front door in a hurry, and pulled the hypno-compliant Rusty behind her, placing him between Dresden and herself. There was something off about the large man, as if he were trying to regain his composure. What had he been doing?

The Custodian looked at the entourage by the garden gate. "Welcome, General Weylin," he called out to the gold-armored man.

"Custodian Aris, well met," General Weylin called back. "Thank you for letting us know of the outsiders."

The Custodian waved his hands dismissively. "And thank you for coming, General. There's really nothing to worry about, your men can dispense with their lances."

The General took a moment to consider this. Then he motioned to his guards, and the blue-fire-tipped spears vanished from their hands.

Not bad, Sonic thought as she saw this. These guys must have a veritable 'magical armory' tucked away. Not bad at all.

"Custodian, there was no need for the Hepsguard," Dresden said.

The Custodian shrugged. "Son of Faramay, the Hepsguard are just a precaution." He smiled. "Besides, you did want to show her things, didn't you? She will see Hep Duatab itself, no less."

"As a prisoner?"

The Custodian laughed. "As your guest, of course! Come, let us go. I'm certain your father is waiting to meet this young lady."

Sonic watched the exchange between Dresden and the Custodian with unease. "And the boy," she said to the Custodian.

"Of course, the boy too!" the Custodian said, still smiling. He hadn't moved toward the gate, and Sonic knew why. Custody at the front, Custodian at the back, she thought. It was almost poetic.

She looked at Dresden. "Dresden, escort your guests to your father." Then she pointed at Rusty's entirely exposed, totally unshod feet. "But the boy need..."

Dresden followed her hand. Then he glared at the Custodian. "Aris, the outsider has no shoes," he said coldly. "We would do him a courtesy of at least keeping his feet unharmed."

The Custodian's smile faltered a little. "But of course, Sire Faramay!" he replied, and ducked back into the abode. He came out a moment later with a pair of sandals in his hands. "These should fit, and we can go at once!" he continued, holding the footwear out gingerly to Sonic, who took them. The Custodian made absolutely certain to avoid skin contact with the powerful young witch.

Sonic dropped to one knee. "I'll put these on you, Rusty," she said. "You'd probably fall over if you tried to do it yourself."

"Okay," Rusty said dreamily. His eyes drifted around the strange garden. "Where am I?"

Sonic quickly tied the first sandal on, then the second, then stood up. "You're with me," she said, looking him right in the eye once more.

"That's good," Rusty said. He really did feel quite strange at the moment. But that was alright. "I'm Rusty," he continued, and Sonic rolled her eyes.

Dresden watched the two, then returned his attention to the General. "You will allow them to walk freely, with me. No bindings. No spells. Are we clear?"

"Very well, Sire Faramay, as you say," the General replied. "Guests of the realm are all treated with dignity."

Dresden did not appear to pick up on the General's barely-suppressed sarcasm, but Sonic marked it. In the meantime, Dresden roughed up Mohon's head. "You stay with me next time," he whispered to the katarn.