Chapter 14

*A Few Weeks Later – Day of American Idol*

ARIA'S POV

I was pacing back and forth in my room. I had been nervous all day. Why? I am performing as a guest on American Idol tonight. I know I shouldn't be nervous. I have performed live for thousands of people before and I have practiced my song many times. I just can't seem to settle down for some reason. It might be the fact that this is the first time I have performed live on stage since my parents died but I am going to do it. The song is going to be dedicated to them. The thought made me smile slightly but that still didn't erase the many questions that were floating around in my head...
What if they don't like me? What if they laugh at me? Will they like my song? Am I really good enough to be a GUEST on American Idol?
I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in and out to calm myself. Deep breaths Aria, deep breaths. You need to calm down. Will's going to be there, Dalton's going to be there. There is nothing to be afraid of. Remember how much you love performing? This is no different. You can do this. I took another deep breath as I calmed myself.
A few moments later, I heard footsteps come into the room.
"Aria? It's time to go." Will said calmly. I opened my eyes and looked at him.
"I'm coming. Just let me get my bag." I said with a smile. I picked up my bag and walked over to him with a smile.
"Are you alright?" He asked.
"Yeah, I was just calming myself." I replied. He smiled warmly.
"Don't panic Aria, you'll be amazing. I know you can do it. I believe in you. You just need to believe in yourself." He stated kindly.
"Thank you Will. That means a lot." I replied. He grinned and with that, we left the house and made our way to the American Idol studio.

*At the American Idol Studio*

I was backstage, feeling very self-conscious. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my breathing to calm myself down.
"Aria?" I heard the voice of my love say. My eyes flashed open and I was faced by my loving boyfriend. A smile lit up my face and I immediately jumped into his arms.
"Dalton!" I exclaimed. We stayed like this for a few moments before he put me down. "I'm nervous. Do you think they will like me?"
"Well, all the contestants love you and the Producers asked you to be a guest on American Idol so I think the response will be positive." Dalton said with a smile.
"Thank you." I replied before kissing him.

*Later – Aria about to go onstage*

I was standing backstage about to go on and I was still very nervous, despite Dalton reassuring me that everything would be alright. I didn't know why because I had been on stage before, but somehow this felt different. I don't know what it was, but I didn't like it. The one thing that calmed me down was that I knew that Dalton and Will would be there and I could look at them as a calming agent if I needed to. Before I could think on it any further, someone came up to me.
"Miss Evans, you're up." They said. I nodded and followed them, doing as I had been instructed to do in rehearsal.

Once I was onstage, the music began. I took a deep breath in and out to steady my breathing before I began singing.

*A few minutes later*

By the end of the song, I was smiling like there was no tomorrow. As soon as I began singing, all of my worries flew out the window. Honestly, I missed this and performing live onstage is one of my favourite things to do.

I looked around at the crowd and everyone was cheering. A standing ovation. I was shocked. They really liked me that much?
Ryan Seacrest walked over to me.
"Congratulations! That was such a beautiful song." He complimented me. "I don't recognize it. Is it an original?" He asked.
"Thank you, and yes, it is." I replied.
"Was it written for anyone?" Ryan asked.
"That song was written for a special someone, and I think he knows who he is." I replied cryptically. My eyes quickly flashed to Dalton and I could see him cheering his lungs out.

DALTON'S POV

As soon as she finished, I was on my feet cheering. That was amazing. I am so proud of her for everything she's done and I know she will go far in life. I will be with her every step of the way. I know it's going to be a long journey to recovery for both of us, but I know we will get through all of this together.