Chapter Eight

EMILIA
Twelve Years Later

"So close, no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart." I quietly sang my take on Metallica's Nothing Else Matters as I dressed my hair in front of my mirror. I loved their version, but when I sang it, I made it a ballad, it made it seem more relaxing, therapeutic. "Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters." I gently set my hairbrush down and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth. "Never opened myself this way, life is ours, we live it our way. All the words I don't just say, and nothing else matters. Trust I seek and I find in you, every day for us something new. Open mind for a different view, and nothing else matters."

Once I was done brushing my teeth, I spritzed myself with my bottle of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Intense, an early gift from my dad for my birthday. "Never cared for what they do, never cared for what they know, but I know."

"Emilia, come on, we're gonna be late!" Jack called to me from downstairs. I looked myself over one last time, grabbed my phone and backpack, and made my way downstairs where Jack was waiting for me in the kitchen as he ate a breakfast wrap. "Awesome, grab your wrap and let's go."

"What's your rush?" I asked as I grabbed my wrap from the counter.

"They're announcing who the nominations are from prom king and queen today."

"Good for you." I rolled my eyes and took a bite out of my wrap and followed Jack outside.

"What's wrong?"

"You know you're gonna be nominated, you're popular."

"You're popular, too."

"Yeah, for all the wrong reasons."

"Okay, so you got held back a year for fighting, so what? People think that's awesome."

"If they think it's so awesome, then why does everyone call me a freak?"

"...It's a compliment?"

"You're such an idiot."

"Hey, they just don't know you. You don't exactly give them a chance, your nose is always stuck in a book or your hand stuck on a pencil."

"So, because I'm striving to graduate with honors and hoping to get into a good college, that makes me a freak?"

"Of course not, it makes you an educated one." BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! The car beside us started to go off. Jack let out a sigh and waved his hand towards the car, turning the alarm off.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled.

"You need to learn to control it better."

"I am trying, damn it. You have no idea what it's like being me."

"I'm exactly like you."

"No you're not! You don't have a care in the fucking world, no one who triggers your powers, but I do. Every day people piss me off and then weird shit happens that no one but us can explain. The kiln exploding, the fire alarms going off—"