Steve - Let Me In

TRIGGER WARNING: suicidal!reader.
This one's pretty long, but I felt like I needed to get this out of my chest. If you guys ever feel like talking, my PMs are always open. And remember: it gets better. It always does, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.
Also, this is based on a script I made for an audio by CardlinAudio (he's on YouTube and he's pretty cool), so if anyone listens to him, this is basically the imagine version of it.
----------------
Steve wakes up from his slumber when he feels your side of the bed shift and hears the door close. He can somehow tell that someone tried to close the door carefully, but ended up making a slight noise that managed jolt him awake.

He rolls to his left side, frowning when he reaches out for you and feels the sheets instead. Rolling back to his right side, he opens an eye and checks the time.

3:24 AM

"Darling?" he calls out in a low mumble, rubbing his the grogginess out of his eyes as he stands up slowly.

He can almost sense what's wrong.

You've been distant these past few days, or hell, even weeks. He knows it's something serious, but can't pinpoint exactly what it is.

Looking around your shared apartment, he goes to every room, but to no avail as he doesn't find you in any of them.

"Darling?" he calls out again, this time a bit louder as he strides to the bathroom near the living room when he sees the closed door and the light switch turned on.

From the other side of the door, he can hear slight whimpers and a few sobs here and there, and it takes everything in him not to wrap his arms around you. The imaginary strings in his heart tug, and he can feel himself growing more and more worried by the second.

"Y/N? You in there?" he asks, and immediately mentally face-palms himself. That's a stupid question. Of course you're in there.

"Go away," you tell him, and he furrows his brows. "I don't want you seeing me like this."

"No," he insists, knocking the door. "Come on, hun. Open up," he pleads. "I need to know you're okay."

You wouldn't have opened the door if it wasn't for the slight crack and the shakiness in his voice. He sounded like he was about to cry.

"Hey," he says, pulling you in. He can hear your sniffles and feel your hands wiping your own tears away because of how close you are. "I'm here, darling. I'm right here," he mumbles into your hair, pressing his lips on your hair.

He rocks the both of you on his heels, effectively calming you down. Tilting your head up so that your eyes can meet his, he asks,"What's wrong? What happened, doll?"

You shake your head no.

He sighs. "Come here," he motions you to the couch. "Let's... sit, yeah?"

You nod, sniffling.

"Look," he starts, trying to find the words to comfort you. "I just- will you... tell me what happened?" he asks carefully, afraid that you might break down again.

You looks down at your hands, feeling your eyes well up with tears again. It's not that you don't want to tell him, it's that you don't want to feel like a burden.