Loki - Nightmares

I woke up to the sound of mumbling and the feeling of someone rolling around in bed.

Well, 'rolling around so vigorously until the sheets from my side of bed are wrapped around me instead of being under me' works, too.

Not thinking straight, I just grabbed on to whoever was beside me in an attempt to calm them down.

It was Loki. I remembered that he has just told me about his reoccurring nightmares that had been stuck with him since his mother's passing.

I guess tonight's one of those nights.
"Hey, hey," I said calmly, forcing my eyes open. "It's okay, I'm here. I'm right here," I continued, placing a soft kiss on the top of his head.

He slowly came back to his senses, clutching a handful of his t-shirt that I was wearing.

I felt dampness when he buried his head on my shoulder, and it took everything in me not to burst into tears, too.

It hurt me whenever he cried. Loki crying was one of the things I'd wish I'd never have to see. He could handle so many things at once, and the fact that he was crying over whatever his brain had decided to come up with made it hurt even more.

"It's okay, hun. It's okay. I'm here," I cooed in his ear as I rubbed his back comfortingly, feeling his sobs wrack my body because of how close we were.

He took a few sharp breaths, calming down just a little bit. "I'm a mess," he whispered, trying to pry himself off me.

"Hey, it's okay. You're okay," I reassured him, my hand not once leaving his back. I pulled him closer, and he looked at me.

"I don't want you seeing me like this," he said, his voice slightly hoarse. He looks down, a few tears streaming down his face.

"Loki, listen to me," I told him,"I'm here for you, alright? Whether you like it or not, I'm staying, and I'm definitely not leaving you now."

"But you were there, (Y/N), you were there. In the dream," he explained, looking down. "And you blamed me for her death."

I took a hold of his large hands, feeling his clammy palms under my fingertips. As I wiped a tear that managed to slip out despite how hard he was trying to hold it in, he sniffled.

"I would never," I stated. "Her death wasn't your fault in any way. It was out of your control."

"It's just..." he paused, seemingly trying to find the right words. "It still hurts, love. It hurts so much that it feels like it all happened yesterday," he whispered, sadness written all over his face. "And what if I'd disappointed her? What if I wasn't enou-"

"Oh, hun." I wrapped my arms around him, and felt him take a shaky breath. "I bet she can't be more proud of who you've become."

He sighed, almost out of relief, and sniffled once more. "I think I'm done being pathetic," he said, trying to lighten the mood with a small chuckle.

I smiled. "You're not pathetic. It's normal to feel that way." I cupped his face. "You just have to let it all out sometimes."

He smiled back at me, his eyes still teary and his face still slightly red, and pulled me into a long, gentle kiss.

"Thank you," he said, kissing me again.

"For what?"

"For putting up with me and these nightmares."

"Oh, come on now. You do that for me, too," I replied with a laugh, and he laughed along with me. "Feel better?"

He yawned. "Yeah. Let's go to bed. I'm sorry I kept you up."

I mumbled an 'it's okay' as I felt him cuddling up next to me before kissing my forehead.

"I'm so lucky to have you here with me."