Keeping your hopes up

Chapter 5: Keeping your hopes up

Liam;

We drove all the way to the hospital in silence. Louis just stared out the window refusing to turn or say anything. We pulled up in front of the hospital, payed the driver and got out.

"Liam, just, just don't judge her and don't treat her differently okay?" Louis finally said as we stepped into the elevator.

"I won't Lou, don't worry." I reassured patting his shoulder. The elevator dinged and we stepped out onto floor four. We passed about ten doors until we were in front of room 411. Louis stood in front of it for a second a sighed before opening the door. We stepped inside and I was heartbroken at to what I was looking at. Tracy was laid on a hospital with needles and tubes sticking out of her arms. She was wearing a pink beanie with flowers on it that said 'Tracy' on the side. Her eyes were closed with dark black and purple circles around them. She looked so sick, and we couldn't even do anything. Louis sat down by his mum who was sitting on a couch next to her bed.

"Hi Liam" She said standing up and giving me a hug.

"Has she woken up yet since this morning?" Louis asked. She shook her head.

"No but the doctors said she should be waking up soon." She mumbled sitting back down. I crouched down next to her bed and looked at her. She looked so helpless.

"Is she on treatment or anything?" I asked looking between Lou and his mom.

"Ya, she's on daily medication. They were going to give her surgery but it never happened." Louis answered.

"Actually Lou," His mum started, a sympathetic look on her face. "She was offered the surgery already,"

"What do you mean?" He asked confused.

"I mean that she could have gotten the surgery already." She whispered.

"What? How, why am I finding this out now?!" He said, his voice growing louder.

"Because she didn't want to leave you Louis! She wanted to stay and support her brother! She didn't want to have surgery when you were miles away!" She said standing up and walking out of the room with tears in her eyes. Louis shoved his head into his hands and began to cry. I went and sat by him and patted his back.

"Louis, it's going to be okay." I whispered.

"But what if it's not Liam? What if she dies because of me?" He mumbled through his cries.

"Don't think like that Lou! You need to keep your hopes up." I said. Tracy started to move and it made Louis look up.

"Tracy?" He said walking over to the bed. She slowly opened her eyes and smiled at her brother.

"Hi Lou." She said as cheerily as she could. Louis smiled.

"I brought you a visitor!" He said pointing to me. She turned her head to look at me and she smiled even bigger.

"Hi Liam!" She said, watching me as I moved over to the bed.

"Hey Tracy, how you doing?" I asked looking down at her.

"Alright I guess." She giggled.

"I'll go get a doctor" Louis said, kissing Tracy's forehead and walking out of the room.

"So, I guess you know my real hair color now." She smiled. I loved how she acted as if nothing was wrong. It made me think there was hope she would get better. I smiled.

"I guess so." I laughed.

"I'm sorry we didn't tell you guys. I just, I just didn't want to be treated differently. I mean we were all having fun and if we told you, you would have treated me like I was glass." She rambled.