chapter thirty-one

"Oh, mirror in the sky, what is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changin' ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Well, I've been 'fraid of changin'
'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm gettin' older, too"

-Stevie Nicks, Landslide

-

Irish sun cascaded gently through the windows, lighting on Niall's cheeks and making him grunt and turn over. For a second, he felt like he was at home, then he remembered he was far from it. The cotton sheets were warm and felt fresh, but Zayn's warmth was missing from beside him. Niall had turned over, expecting to see his beautiful, black-haired husband patiently waiting for his good morning kiss; Zayn's face was really the only one he wanted to see so early in the morning. However, Zayn wasn't in bed next to him, which was odd, considering it was still so early. Perhaps he had gotten up for an early morning coffee; Niall lifted his head up to look around and saw the door was slightly ajar - so he had gotten up.

Try as he might, Niall knew trying to go back to sleep was useless, as the sun was shining rather bright in his face and he knew the boys would be up soon. So he reluctantly threw off the sheets and sat at the edge of the bed, not wanting to touch the cold hardwood floor with his bare feet. Gingerly he stood up and stretched, having to sit again as a huge yawn overtook him. The next thing on his mind was tea, and he was determined to get some. He slipped on some socks and quietly went out of the room, and was padding along softly when he heard a familiar voice.

Another responded, and at once Niall knew where Zayn was. He and his mother were conversing in the kitchen in quiet voices, whether it was because they were tired or because they didn't want anyone to hear them Niall didn't know. Niall leaned up against the wall of the hallway just outside the kitchen and hoped he was out of view as he began to listen in. He hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but envy was bubbling low in his tummy as he heard their jovial tones. They seemed to be getting along quite well, like they were old friends catching up.

It amazed Niall how well they got on - but he wished they wouldn't. Or Zayn at least. Niall had wanted to be with his mother for so long during all those difficult years, and here his husband was, talking to her as if he had known her all his life. Niall knew he wasn't being fair, but that didn't mean it hurt any less. Zayn always made everything look so easy; couldn't Niall have just this one thing to do for himself?

Unable to take it, Niall finally stepped into his mother's kitchen. Zayn grinned at the sight of his husband and tugged Niall over to his side. Niall reluctantly relaxed into him, but sweetly kissed his jawbone, the only spot he could reach from where he was at. Even when he pissed Niall off, he was still irresistible.

"I was just telling your mum I'd do some handiwork 'round here for her, put up the gutter again and fix the front garden," Zayn mumbled, smooching Niall's hair. Niall nodded and reached around Zayn to grab the kettle.

"Good," Niall responded, filling up the pot and setting it on the stove to boil. He glanced out at the kitchen window through to the craggy, rocky beaches, absently pulling out two mugs out of the cabinet. He set one out for himself and one for his mother. It was going to be hard, but he was going to have to make peace somehow; if not to repair their relationship, then at least to give him some peace of mind.

The gesture didn't go unnoticed; Maura took note of it and felt her heart warm up. Her son was trying - that's all that mattered.

-

Zayn was out on a ladder loudly hammering the gutter back on the front of the house, one of the handyman jobs he had agreed to do for his mother in law so she wouldn't have to hire someone. Zayn was good at doing odd jobs like that, and he enjoyed doing them as well. He had already fixed the banister at their home in England, repainted most of the rooms, and even dabbled a bit in the plumbing.