chapter four

"There is only one happiness in this life. To love and be loved."

-George Sand

-

Zayn sighed into his pillow. He really did not want to get out of bed, even if it was his birthday. He groaned and turned over to try and fall back asleep again, but, not surprisingly, Niall was already awake.

"Happy Birthday, Z!" Niall's face lit up in excitement. Zayn, who's brain was still foggy with exhaustion, leaned his forehead on Niall's shoulder. The Irishman reached a hand up and began to scratch lightly at the base of Zayn's neck where the hair started to grow with his stubby nails.

"Thanks, babe," Niall scooped Zayn's face up in his hands and kissed him square on the lips.

"Are you feelin' any better today?" Niall asked as he pushed his fingers through Zayn's soft hair, which was something that he did often.

"Yeah, m'fine," Zayn slung an arm across Niall's stomache. He pushed the fabric of Niall's shirt and began to rub the pad of his thumb over the soft pale skin on his hip. "How 'bout you?"

Niall gave him a blinding smile and replied "Never better!" It always amazed Zayn how Niall could be so cheery all the time, even during the last month of this pregnancy, with all the cramps, hot flashes, cold sweats, aches, pains, false contractions and everything else piled on top of all that.

"I Love You, baby boy," Zayn said, calling Niall a name which he only called him when they were in bed or he was just being mushy.

"I Love You, too, Z, you know that I do," Niall pressed his lips to Zayn's lovingly as he brought the palm of his hand up to cup his cheek. Zayn tangled his hand with Niall's free one and brought them down to where Niall's bellybutton was and pressed down there slightly, hoping to get a reaction out of his baby. He pulled back and brushed some hair out of Niall' s face before pushing the duvet back and hopping out of bed. 

"I'm gonna take a shower, Ni," Zayn said as he stripped out of his shirt and sweats. "You can go back to sleep if you want, but I won't be very long," 

"M'kay," Niall stifled a yawn with the back of his hand and pulled the blankets back up to his chin as he turned to lay on his side. Both of the dogs, who had been asleep on the floor at the foot of the bed, now jumped onto the mattress and lay cuddled up in Zayn's warmth. Niall groaned in annoyance and moved over some. 

Zayn had gotten out of the shower after a half an hour or so, and like he had expected, Niall had fallen back asleep again. He rubbed his wet hair with the towel so that it was almost dry and slipped some boxers and jeans on. Zayn looked softly over at his sleeping beauty lying in their bed and made his way downstairs to make breakfast.

After preparing some cinnamon rolls - they were a household favourite - Zayn left to go wake up Liam and Louis. Normally, Zayn would be the last to rise in the morning, but after the long day the boys had yesterday and the fact that Niall was nearing the end of the third trimester, Zayn wasn't really surprised that everyone was still asleep. He was, however, surprised to see Niall sitting at the counter enjoying some orange juice and a piece of toast when he came back down the stairs, with a sleepy Liam on his hip and Louis trailing behind him, sweetly holding his hand. 

"Daddy!" Louis exclaimed. He wiggled free from Zayn's loose grasp, bound over to Niall and snuggled into his side under his arm. 

"Hi, love," Niall greeted him with adoration in his eyes. "Did you have a good night?" Louis just nodded his head and clambered up onto the stool next to Niall.