chapter ten

"Until the flower of this love has blossomed, this heart won't be at peace. Give me your heart..."

-ZAYN, Mind of Mind, INTERMISSION: fLoWer

-

Both Niall and Zayn had been released from the hospital the next night, but the doctors had told them that they wanted to watch Liam for a few days. Niall had initially protested, saying that he could take care of Liam, that he was almost a nurse and that he knew what he was doing, but the doctors wouldn't have any of it. Zayn had actually been the one to persuade Niall out of it, but only after a few tries.

Now, all four of them were currently snuggled up together watching films on Zayn and Niall's big bed, Zayn taking the occasional thirty minute cat nap once every three or four hours. None of them had gotten much sleep since the car accident two days before (although Zayn seemed to have no problem with that), but that was to be expected when their son was all alone in the hospital.

Harry was happily bouncing up and down on Niall's lap in nothing but a dinosaur nappy, drooling all over the place. Niall handed him a cold rubber teething ring to suck on and sat up against the headboard.

"Dad?" Louis stood on his knees and looked down at his superhero pajama pants (courtesy of Zayn), and started playing with a loose string from the waistband.

"What's up, buttercup?" Niall responded. Zayn turned over onto his side in his sleep, grunted in pain, and turned onto his back again.

"When do you think Li will be back home?"

"I dunno, bud. Soon, though. Why? Do you miss him?"

Louis nodded softly. "Can we pick out presents for him for when he gets outta the hospital?" For as much as they bickered, Liam and Louis were inseparable, and had been, almost since the time they were born.

"Sure thing, Lou!" Niall reached out to pick at an imaginary dust bunny in his son's chestnut hair and flung it over the edge of the bed.

Louis smiled contentedly and Niall cooed when he saw that he was still missing his two front teeth.

"You hungry, love?" Niall asked and switched Harry's position so that he was laying down in Niall's arms. Harry started to fuss immediately, making Niall wince and stand him back up again.

"Mmm-hmmm," Louis nodded his head eagerly and clapped his hands. "I want dinosaur chicken nuggets!"

"Alright! Do you think we should wake Papa up for dinner?"

"Um," Louis paused as he thought. "Yes!"

"How should we do that, y'think?" Niall knew Zayn was awake now, but he was just being stubborn and was not getting up. He carefully cracked one eyelid open, his big, brown, doe eyes sparkling with mischief. The corner of Zayn's mouth quirked up into a sly grin before it fell and he pretended to go back to sleep again.

Before Niall could stop him, Louis had let out a wild shriek and jumped on Zayn's back, making him grunt in pain. Niall laughed in surprise and gently pushed his son away.

"I didn't mean like that, Lou!" Louis was now doubled over with laughter at his own prank, giggling until tears came to his eyes.

"How about this!" Niall grinned and handed Harry over to Louis, who had calmed down a little. Niall burrowed under the covers and snuggled up so close to his husband that their noses were only centimetres apart. He pressed three short little kisses to Zayn's lips, making him smile and draw Niall even closer.

Louis, who somehow managed to look completely horrified and disgusted at the same time, pulled a face and loudly yelled,

"EWWIE!" He pulled Harry close to his chest and covered his eyes, as if to protect him from the horrific sight of their parents kissing.