chapter fourteen

"Ohana means family, and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten."
- Lilo and Stitch

-

warning: smut at the end

"Oh, let's see then!" Niall glanced curiously at the white gauze and tape covering his husband's left shoulder blade. Zayn had just returned from the tattoo parlour after he had gotten off work.

"Yeah! I wanna see, Papa! I wanna see!" Louis jumped up and down. Liam did the same, not being able to contain his excitement.

"Alright," Zayn chuckled. "Hang on!" He slowly pulled off the protective tape, wincing in pain, and then having Niall get the rest of that he couldn't reach. He revealed four small cursive letters just under two 'lm's.

Niall gasped, his eyes widening in surprise.

"Zayn! You didn't have to do that!" Under the 'hm' was a small 'cm'. Obviously it was meant to stand for Christopher Malik. Niall jumped around Zayn happily to face him and hugged his skinny waist tightly, laying his head down on his shoulder.

"What?" Niall heard Zayn chuckle. "He's my son too, yeah?"

Niall could feel himself smiling so big his cheeks hurt. "It just means so much to me," he whispered. Zayn ruffled his fluffy chestnut hair. Niall straightened up and took Zayn's cheeks in his hands, feeling the rough stubble beneath his fingers. "Thank you!"

Zayn's deep honey and amber coloured eyes twinkled with love as he smiled brilliantly down at Niall.

Niall leaned in to kiss him but started laughing when he heard Louis fake-gagging. Zayn circled his arms around Niall's middle to secure him and felt his heart flutter as Niall's back arched underneath his hands.

He nuzzled their noses for a few seconds, then chastely kissed his husband twice.

Niall sighed contently then backed away. "Dinner."

Zayn hummed in response and broke away to go put up his work things in their room.

Niall enlisted the help of the boys to bring out some pots and a pan while Harry bounced around happily in his high chair.

"Dad, what are you making? Is it pasketti?" Liam's eyes perked up at the thought. Spaghetti was his favourite, especially when Niall made it.

Niall chuckled as he filled a medium pot halfway with water and set it on the burner. "Yes, we're having spaghetti!"

"Meatballs too?" Louis asked. Clumsily, he climbed onto one of the barstools at the island to watch his father cook.

"No, not really." Niall replied. He broke a handful of noodles in half and slid them into the pot. "I'm going to put chicken on top and then melt some cheese to go on the chicken. Does that sound okay to you?"

Louis shrugged carelessly.

"I guess." Liam pouted for a second.

"Is it good that way?" Louis rested his chin in his hands, his fringe flopping adorably across his forehead.

"Guess you'll just have to try it to find out, right?" Niall said, looking at Louis.

Louis shrugged again. Zayn, always one to be comfortable, came back in plaid pyjama pants and a red sweatshirt.

"Need any help?" Zayn asked, already making to grab the broccoli that was out, then a cutting board and a knife. He chopped up a good amount, then put it in the double boiler to steam. Niall put a glass pan of breaded chicken breasts in the oven to bake, then wiped his hands on his work pants.