Chapter 10

Christmas Eve felt almost like a desperate attempt for Annie's parents to make up for the last couple months. Though, it obviously wasn't enough and Annie couldn't help pointing that out every chance she got. Whether she was being too harsh or not, she really couldn't be bothered to give a damn. However, she would have been lying if she said she didn't enjoy constantly pointing out their mistakes and affairs whenever she wanted to get away with something.

Of course it pissed her parents off, but it probably pissed them off more that Annie wasn't wrong. It was using their failing marriage as a scapegoat that led to Annie being outside in the winter evening with a small wrapped package. The odds of running into Spider-Man were pretty slim, it was a holiday after all. Despite it only being six at night, the sky was dark with only streetlights, cars, and electronic billboards there to light the way.

The temperature drop that winter brought always left Annie cursing her choice to be a superhero instead of a street magician. She had even put a few shirts underneath the white hoodie she had on and she was still shivering. Stealing some electricity to attempt to warm up was her best bet, but even that wasn't exactly working.

With the streets bustling with the absolute last-second holiday shopping, it was difficult to find any real crime going on as she lurked in an alley. That was when she heard a jump. Without giving it a second thought, Annie swerved around and launched the ball of electricity that was in her hand at none other than Spider-Man himself.

He quickly sidestepped the electricity and held his hands up, "Hey, it's okay, it's just me."

Annie sighed a little, "You can't just sneak up on me like that! If I hit you then that's who knows how many volts straight to your chest."

"Oh, it's cool. Mr. Stark made my suit electricity-proof. Sorry I scared you, Swan. Merry Christmas, by the way. What's that you've got in your hands there?" he asked, talking as though Annie hadn't told him to leave her alone a week ago.

Annie glanced down and the package, "Um... it's not much, but it's for you, actually. Kind of a 'Merry Christmas, sorry I yelled at you and I actually do kinda enjoy working with you' present."

"Well that's great! I got something for you too! It's not much either, but uh... it's something I thought you'd like," he replied, handing her something that was in a paper bag.

Annie handed him the wrapped parcel and took the thing he gave her, "You seriously didn't have to," she said, pulling out a long sleeved shirt.

"I should probably mention it's got a little heater in it. I know you said to not follow you, but I saw you kept getting super cold and I uh- well I sort of stole it from Mr. Stark," Spider-Man said sheepishly as he unwrapped his present to find a Santa hat.

Annie smiled a bit, "Thanks, that's way awesome. I wasn't really sure what to get you that you didn't already have, and I know it's super cheesy and I totally get it if you don-"

"It's great, Swan, really, I love it, thanks," he replied, hugging her.

She laughed a bit, "No problem, I'm just sorry I've been such a bitch, and I should probably apologize in advance for when the exact same thing happens again for whatever reason I decide to get mad again."

"Hey, I get it. You've been alone awhile and you're not used to having yours truly making things a bit easier on you," he claimed.

She rolled her eyes and sighed, "Actually I get more nervous when you insert yourself and expect me to cover you. I mean, come on, my powers could crap out on me."