2. Tell me

After I had showed them around, we started unpacking the plates, cups, knives, forks, spoons etc. Fred had placed my bed in my old bedroom and it brought a lot of old memories back. The kids had chosen a room and had started unpacking their stuff. While I was putting my clothes in my closet, Polly entered. "Mom, we're getting a bit hungry. Charles offered to go to the grocery store but it might be handy if we all went so we all know where it is for later." She suggested. "That's fine sweetie. Give me five minutes and I'll be down." "Okay, mom." I quickly took off my blouse and put on a sweater. In Riverdale it had always been fall weather already at the end of August. In Fresno it's almost always soft and sunny so I had to adjust a bit again. I took my coat and handbag and walked down the stairs. The kids also changed into something warmer and were waiting for me. A short drive later I parked the car at the grocery store parking lot. "Alright, let's find something for dinner and also for tomorrow." We walked through the store and put all the food in the cart. We were almost at the checkout when I realized I forgot about the coffee. "You three wait here, I forgot the coffee." I quickly walked back to the second aisle and let out a sigh. It was already the last pack. Just as I wanted to grab it, someone else grabbed it first. Surprised I looked up and looked right into the face of Sierra. "Sierra?" "Alice?" For a moment none of us seemed able to speak. "Alice, wow, how long has it been?" "25 years. How are you? What's new?" "I'm great and I'm the mayor now. I also have a daughter Josie and recently divorced but no hard feelings. What about you? I mean didn't you move away? Last thing I heard was that you and Hal got married." "Yeah we did. I also have three kids now too. Charles, Polly and Elizabeth. Speaking of them, they're waiting for me at the checkout so I actually have to go. But Sierra, we'll catch up soon." She nodded and handed me the coffee. "Here, I was just getting extra. I'll see you later." We said goodbye and I quickly walked back to my waiting kids. "What took you so long?" Charles smiled. "Sorry, I just met Sierra McCoy, we went to High School together. Alright let's pay for this and I'll start making dinner." After we unpacked the groceries they went upstairs to unpack further and I started making dinner. Suddenly my phone rang, it was Fred. "Sorry for disturbing you, Alice, but I wondered you and the kids wanted to join Archie and I to Pop's?" "Oh Fred, that would be great but I actually already started making dinner." "No problem, Alice. Enjoy." I kind of felt bad so I decided to invite them over. Polly and Betty would see Archie a lot at school anyway. "Well, if you want you and Archie can join us instead? I made too much food anyway." "Are you sure? I mean Pop's is fine too." "Nonsense, Fred. Dinner is ready in fifteen minutes. Be on time." I hang up before he could change his mind and I continued cooking. The doorbell rang and I called Betty to open the door since I was busy with getting the pork out of the oven. I heard her say "Mister Andrews, come on in." "Just call me Fred." "Alright then." Fred walked into the kitchen and asked if he could help me with something. "If you could set the table then I'll call the children to the table. As I called the kids, I realized Archie wasn't with Fred. "Where is your son? He was allowed to come too, you know." Fred laughed and shook his head. "His best friend Jughead called to see if he was up for Pop's and a movie. Apparently  a lot of their schoolmates are hanging out at the drive-in. If your kids want, the movie starts at nine?" "There's a drive-in? Oh please, mom, can we go? Charles will supervise Polly and me." Betty begged. "And if you want I'll text Archie so he and Jughead can get to know your kids. It could help to weaken the barrier on their first day of school in a couple days." I wasn't  sure. Sure I knew Fred and I trusted him but I didn't know his son that well or that Jughead kid. I mean who call their son 'Jughead'? But I looked at Betty's and Polly's hopeful eyes and Charles reassured me he would never lose them out of sight and that they'd be home after the movie. I rolled my eyes and knew I couldn't change their minds. "Fine but text me when you arrive and when you come back. And no alcohol." "Mom, we're going to watch a film! Not getting waisted in a shady club." Polly raised an eyebrow and I sighed. "Just sit down before the food gets cold."

After dinner, they got ready for the movie and left. "Alice, they'll be fine. Archie is a very responsible kid and Jughead might be a bit odd and introvert but he's a good kid." Fred reassured me. "If Archie is anything like you, I guess it's fine. But Jughead? Who calls his kid Jughead?" Fred's smile faded away for a second but in a blink of an eye it  reappeared.. "Well it's not his real name but we all call him Jughead." It was clear he didn't want to talk about it any further so I decided to let it rest...at least for now. "So, what are your plans now?" He looked at me while he took another sip from his water. Fred never really was a drinker except for a couple beers at a party. "Well I was wondering if the Riverdale Register was still on? I thought I might go and see if they needed a journalist for that." Fred shrugged. "The Register closed down a couple months ago but you can always talk to mayor McCoy about it? But to get a new license and everything it might take a while. I did see a hiring sign at Pop's? Maybe you can take your old job back?" I chuckled. "I can't believe Pop is still there. Well I'll definitely talk to Sierra about it but I don't think I'll go back working at Pop's. I'm sure that uniform will look hideous on me now." Fred laughed hard. "Oh please, Alice, you know you'll look great in it. Hermione always said how you looked great in everything even if you'd wear a garbage bag." I cracked up. "As if." After we stopped laughing, I started to clean up the table. "So Mary is living in Chicago now? How does Archie feel about that?" Fred picked up the glasses and shrugged. "He's holding up great but I can feel he misses his mom. But she calls almost everyday and she promised to join us for Thanksgiving and Christmas." I started loading everything in the dishwasher. "You know, I was pretty shocked when you said you and Hermione broke up. I mean you were such a great couple." "Well, sometimes relationships just stop, Alice. And the one left behind doesn't always get an answer on why." His eyes pierced into mine and I knew he wasn't talking about his relationship with Hermione anymore. I let out a deep sigh and closed the dishwasher. "Look it's not like it was easy for me, Fred. But he just really broke my heart." I felt tears welling up and I turned around. I didn't want him to see my tears. "I know, Alice. But I also know how much he regretted what he said. Believe me or not but he said that BECAUSE he loved you and wanted a future with you." I quickly turned around. "I don't see how what he said would be because he loved me. If he did love me, he would've never told me to do that! If he really loved me, he would've fought for me. But he didn't. In those 25 years he has never showed any sign of him. So don't tell me he did that because he loved me, Fred. I should've listened to my mother but of course my love made me blind. And look where it had left me. I'm glad I got Hal. We have three beautiful children and I've been happy." "You have three children, Alice. Hal only has two." I looked at him. He couldn't... "Or are you really going to lie in my face and tell me it isn't true?"