Chapter Sixteen

THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUSIC!!! OH man, it's good to be back! I'm so sorry guys, I had a really crappy week last week and just needed a break. I hope you enjoy the new chapter!!! 

Question: Should I maybe change chapters to phrases instead of numbers? I'm thinking like it might be a good idea. Please vote and comment!!! xxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

     Garrett watched as Caroline turned her face more into his sweater and inhaled deeply. She wanted more of his scent. That knowledge sent a shockwave to his groin that he was hard-pressed to ignore. She was traumatized and exhausted. She hadn't known werewolves even existed three days ago, she definitely didn't want to jump into bed with him.

Still, she was his. He'd never thought much before about having a mate, he'd always had to focus on other things. Ever since he was old enough to care about finding one, he'd been in charge of running the pack. Daniel handled big picture stuff and keeping the pack in order, but Garrett took care of the day to day functioning of the pack. Settling pack disputes, keeping the property stocked with all the necessities, and communicating with outside packs were all his domain. His main role, however, was training the enforcers. Keeping them in shape. Enforcers weren't needed to keep the rest of the pack in line, but they never knew when another pack might turn on them. Or when a pack member came down with lunar fever. That was the worst part of his job. Wolves in the throes of fever were dangerous, lethal even. And there was no cure. Garrett's job was to put them down. Luckily it had only ever happened once. So far.

He'd never thought a female could fit into his life, as hectic as it was. What female could put up with his late hours? What female would want to be mated to the pack assassin? The more time he spent around Caroline, the more he came to wonder if she might be his match. She was strong, he knew that much. She'd been ready to kill Nathan earlier, and she'd resented Garrett stopping her. He'd seen it in her expression.

The fierce look of possessiveness in her eyes had surprised him. Just thinking about it still made him hard. He wanted to see it again. But she'd been more reserved since arriving in pack territory. Not that he could blame her. He could feel through pack bonds that at least one or two of the enforcers thought it would be better for she and Sophie to be locked away. If not worse. Jealousy had poured from Alina in waves. At least Caroline hadn't been able to sense it. The rest of the pack undoubtedly had. He'd have to tell Caroline about his past with Alina eventually, he just hoped it could wait.

The wind whipped up for a moment and blew her hair back from her face. Its dark brown transformed into an auburn hue in the sunset's fading light. She felt like sand slipping through his fingers, one wrong move and she could be gone. He wanted this woman. And he'd be damned if he let anyone take her away.

"I'm getting tired," Caroline said, interrupting his thoughts.

"Of course." He led her inside and up the stairs. The house was only finished a few months previous and he'd yet to furnish many of the rooms. He showed her into his room and watched with trepidation as she took in the simple decor he'd asked April to chose for him. It galled him to realize how much her opinion about something so mundane mattered to him.

He relished the little smile she made as she looked around. "The bathroom is just through there," he motioned towards the door on the far side of the wall, "and I'll be in the living room if you need anything."

Her brow furrowed in displeasure, but at what he wasn't sure. It was gone in an instant. "Thank you," she replied. She nodded and shifted her weight uncomfortably from one foot to the other. They stood there awkwardly for a few seconds, Caroline's eyes moving around the room aimlessly as she fidgeted until Garrett realized she was waiting for him to leave. He turned and left silently, nursing his embarrassment. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I tossed my arm across my face with a frustrated sigh. I was restless, sleep having eluded me for a most of the night. I was so physically exhausted my body ached for rest, some kind of release. A glance over at the analog clock told me it was just past three in the morning. My newly enhanced hearing told me Garrett was downstairs, just as awake as I was. His heartbeat sped up and slowed every few minutes, indicating every time he had to get up, walk around, or reposition his body on the likely uncomfortable couch.

Something seemed to pull me towards him. Down the stairs, into his arms, into his bed. The spot beside me was noticeably empty, but that hadn't stopped my hand from reaching for who my brain thought should be there several times during the night. His absence ached like an open wound and shot through my body with pain and longing. His sweatshirt barely smelled like him anymore, and it had been a poor substitute to begin with.

This was ridiculous. I barely knew the man, I'd only met him through a series of events so absurd I was still wrapping my mind around them. But something deep in my being, something essential, fundamental even, said I was supposed to be with him. Being close to him felt right. He felt like home. Which was something I hadn't felt in a long time.

I shouldn't trust it, I definitely shouldn't embrace it. But not walking down there and kissing him with everything I had hurt with an intensity I wasn't sure I could bear much longer. The pull on my body, my soul, was magnetic.

I sighed once more, resigned. This was happening. Once I committed to the act, my nerves intensified more and more. With every step I took, I became less sure of my actions. What if he rejected me? What I was asking for was simple, but more intimate and vulnerable than anything I'd ever done before.

Soon I was at the base of the stairs. I knew he could hear me, I could even feel the guarded questioning running down our bond. Good. I was glad he was as nervous as I was. He propped himself up on one arm when he saw me. His hair was tousled in a sexy, haphazard mess like he'd been running his hands through it repeatedly. Those intense eyes pierced me, but the uncertainty and fear I found there took my breath away.

I held his eyes as I approached, hoping to make my intent clear. When I reached him, I couldn't resist framing his face with the tips of my fingers. Staring down at him, I said the only thing I could think of. "We both need sleep."

I entreated him to stand with the barest pressure of my fingers. He took my hand in his without a word and followed me back upstairs.