Chapter Eleven

Hey guys!!! New chapter as promised! Hope to have the next one up really soon! Please vote and comment!!! 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They are mated. My wolf responded before anyone else could.

Shock rocketed through my being as I gasped. "You're mated? To him?"

My voice must have sounded accusatory because Sophie's expression hardened into one I only ever saw when she was offended or angry. "Yes, to him!" She paused for a moment. "...At least that's what he keeps saying."

"You know he left me gutted in the woods to die?!" I hadn't thought about it much before, but I found that it made me extremely angry. Best friends don't mate each other's murderers. It just isn't cool.

Her eyes became pleading at this point and she started to fidget with her hands worryingly. "He felt terrible once he realized what he'd done! And he could already tell you were going to change, and he had to hide us away from the other wolf who was chasing us!"

"Yeah, that wolf," I said, pointing to Gabriel, who seemed entirely nonplussed by the entire issue. "MY mate. And he was chasing your precious puppy because he's been slaughtering his way up and down Revelstoke for days!"

"Hey!" Gabriel interjected. Finally, I would get a little backup in this conversation. "Clearly not everything is as it seemed several hours ago. Nathan is obviously not suffering from Lunar Fever, as he is cogent and still human. So whatever is wrong with him has to be something else, hopefully, something treatable. We have to get back to Daniel, we can come up with a plan then." He looked between the two of us with something akin to annoyance. "You can fight in the car."

With that last directive, he took hold of Nathan's shoulder and walked him out the cabin. I didn't want to sound like a petulant child, so I refrained from saying 'fine,' or stomping my foot before changing back to my wolf form. Gabriel could be as cold-hearted and rational as he wanted, it didn't make my emotions any less valid. At Sophie's sharp intake of breath I turned and gave her what I hoped was the wolf face for "yeah bitch, this is what I can do now." I almost relished the wide-eyed look of surprise on her face. After a moment I heard Sophie follow me out the door and close it behind her. I briefly wondered who this cabin belonged to. Whoever it was probably wasn't going to like the new "werewolf chic" decor we'd left as a result of Gabriel's and Nathan's fight.

I had to admit while looking at Nathan, that Gabriel was right. He was tense and his eyes kept shifting over the landscape as if searching for predators, but Nathan appeared to be a mostly sane person. At least not a stark raving mad killing machine like Gabriel had described people with Lunar Fever being. Since his earlier confusion at seeing Gabriel, the other wolf had almost attached himself to Gabriel and followed him with a single-minded dedication. It was probably something to do with his beta superpowers. Maybe all wolves acted like this around him. Except for me, of course.

As we walked and observed Nathan, my wolf spoke. I still don't trust him.

Me either.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So what do you guys think??? Should we trust Nathan? What's going on with him, anyways???