Chapter One

Hey guys, brand new story! Very much still in development, I'd love some feedback! 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This was getting annoying, Garrett thought as he trudged through the snow. He'd been in the remote part of British Columbia for three days, and he had yet to find the rogue werewolf hunting in the area. Snow started to fall in heavy pelts in the early morning. The result was a solid four-foot wall.

Garret was beta of the British Columbia werewolf pack. That usually meant that he was second in command to the alpha and stayed near the pack. But this was an unusual case. Three weeks prior, Garrett found reports of what looked to be werewolf attacks northeast of Revelstoke. Attacking humans was outlawed among all the North American packs in the early 20th century. Today they were rare, but they did happen.

What made this case unusual was the manner in which the humans were killed. Garrett had seen his share of violence, but these killings were particularly vicious. Almost crazed.

Worse, none of the nearby packs could account for the offending werewolf. So there was a bloodthirsty, unstable lone wolf out there killing any unlucky human he happened upon.

This was the kind of case that Garrett was particularly good at handling. Daniel, his alpha, was equally if not more lethal, but he had less ability to travel all over North America anytime a werewolf stepped out of line. Garrett was his problem solver. Assassin, according to other members of the pack. Garrett told himself that it was a necessary evil.

A whimper drifted downwind from him, making his pupils dilate. Blood, lots of it, was spilled nearby. As he moved closer, he found the body of a young woman lying prone in the snow. The only movement was the fluttering of her eyelids, signaling that some part of her brain was still working. Garrett lowered his fingers to her neck. Her pulse was thready, but it was there. Her skin was ice cold. Deep red stains saturated her grey parka and the ground.

The wolf had been there. His scent, while faint, was still present. He'd likely been in the area in the last few hours, come across the girl and another female, and attacked her. Why he'd taken the other female was a puzzle. Rogue wolves didn't abduct. They slaughtered, they killed, they rampaged, but they didn't abduct women, at least not when they were still alive. And she was, at least she was a few hours ago. He'd taken her north, deeper into the woods.

Garrett needed to keep pursuing the wolf, but he couldn't leave the woman. She was still alive, and by all accounts was beginning her transformation. She was a fighter. The wolf could wait, he decided. He slipped his arms underneath her form and lifted her into his arms. The cabin he'd borrowed for the trip was about ten miles south-east. He'd carried heavier things farther. He started off in that direction. She'd live, he decided. He would make sure of it.