148. King's Game

I sat down on my bed with my legs crossed as I looked into Luna's eyes. She was also sitting on my bed with her legs crossed so that we were on the same level as we prepared to start this King's Game that she wanted to play so badly. On her face was an amused smile as she gazed into my eyes. This gesture made me quite nervous, but I guess it doesn't matter anymore. Like I should be accustomed to this after all this time that I've spent with her.

"Alevian," she suddenly started speaking,"do you still have the key I gave you?"

Key? I subconsciously brought my left hand up to my chest, feeling the irregularly shaped object that hugged tightly onto my skin underneath my cotton long-sleeve shirt. This was Luna's gift to me on my birthday. Come to think about it, it's been quite some time since my birthday, and because I've been wearing this key as a necklace for everyday, I had forgotten about... No, not forgotten. This key has became a part of me as it had been with me for everything that I've been through. This key... if I recall correctly, it was the key to Luna's locked diary that she said that she'll allow me to read once she's dead. So... so this key that constantly accompanied me, it's a constant reminder for her fate...

"I have it with me," I said, reaching into my shirt and pulling out the necklace to show her the silver key that I wore on a light platinum chain.

Upon seeing that key, Luna's countenance relaxed into a gentle smile. She gazed at the key with a silent nostalgia and then closed her eyes almost as if in remembrance. She maintained silence for a moment as she shielded her mind from me, making it so that she was completely shrouded in mystery.

"I'm glad that you kept it with you," she smiled. 

"It was you who told me to keep it," I muttered as I slipped the key back into my shirt. "Why'd you ask me that?"

"I just want to make sure," she chuckled. "That you can still remember a promise that we've made."

"Isn't that my purpose..." I muttered to myself.

I sighed as the silence continued on for a bit longer as I looked away from her. I glanced over at her from the corner of my eye, observing her as she sat there in an odd and eerie silence. She simply stared in my direction, almost as if she was searching to meet my gaze. However, for some reason I was oddly afraid to meet it. A deep wavering mental state probably contributed to this feeling, and I know for sure that... she's the cause of it all.

"Um..." I sighed and rubbed my arms. "Can we start?" I concluded by finally meeting those amber eyes of her's

"Right," she smiled."Let's start then. Rock, paper, scissors."

The end result of the first round was that she won and I lost. I stared at my opened palm and then over at her two fingers that were out in scissors. On her face was a happy and joyful smile, but on my face was a grim countenance as I was unsure of my future fate. What would she command that I do? What have I got myself into?

"So... what is it?" I asked as I peeked over at her sheepishly.

"Let me think," she closed her eyes and brought a finger to her lips as she started contemplating her options. With her eyes closed, I could stare at her beautiful face without her amber eyes absorbing my gaze. With her eyes closed, I am shielded from her personality as what was left behind was merely her physical appearance.... If she's dead, then would it just be like this?

Subconsciously, I reached out a hand towards her face as a strong desire to feel her face overcame me, making me want to make physical contact and gently feel over her beautiful face. I wanted to feel her smooth skin and feel the warmth of her body because... I have a strange feeling that... this might be the last opportunity I have to make contact with her living body.