DAMAGED GOODS| 21

Aaliyah

Hope and I have been in New York for a week now. We were supposed to go back home three days ago but Dave persuade me into staying.

He even made us leave the hotel to stay with him.

Today Dave's going to the studio and he said me and the kids could tag along but he had to stop by his moms house first.

Turning into her yard I slouch down in the seat rolling my eyes, Kairi hopped out her car seat trying to get out the car. Hope and I stayed in our spots waiting for them to leave.

"Come on" Dave said getting out the car, Kairi climbed to the front seat and got out. "Hope, Aaliyah y'all too"

"Nah we good" I scoff waving him off

I knew better than to go somewhere, where I'm not welcome.

He sighed making his way to the front door then going through it with Kairi behind him.

"Mommy, remember that song you sung to me on the plane?" Hope asked playing with her fingers

"Yes Pooh what about it?" I asked looking at her

"Can you sing it again? Please"

Nodding I searched through my notes on my phone for the lyrics. Dave left his phone and keys in the car so I plugged the aux cord into his phone and played the instrumental.

Just as I was about to start singing Dave, Kairi and his mom came out the house. I sighed turning the volume down.

"Pooh I promise when we get to the studio I'll sing it to you" I said rubbing my temples

"Okay" she sighs lowly "I don't like that lady"

I looked back at her and followed her stare, Dave's mom.

"Me either" I chuckle nodding in agreement

The instrumental paused repeatedly then continued. I frowned looking at it and noticed someone by the name Mya was blowing up his phone. Mmmm.

"We were somewhat dating, but I wanted a break. Now I have it" I mumble to myself "he can do whatever he wants, right?"

"Who are you talking too?" Dave asks getting in the car as Kairi strapped herself in

"Myself" I answered in a duh tone "Someone by the Mya been calling none stop"

I unplugged his phone and gave it to him. Staring out the window I hummed to myself, thinking.

I was so caught up in my thoughts I hadn't realized we were at the studio.

"You good?" Dave questions looking at me funny

"I'm great" I smile looking at myself in the mirror before getting out of the car

*
*
*

Dave's been working on his album for three hours now. I didn't want to listen to him rap anymore so I left the room with the girls behind me.

I love Dave's music but I want to be somewhat surprised when he releases it. Wondering the halls I seen a studio open so I went in.

My mom used to take me to one up the street from our old house growing up, she taught me how all the buttons work and what they do.

I played with the buttons until I made a instrumental similar to the one I was listening to in the car. Hope and Kairi sat together in the swirly chair looking at me with smiles on their faces.

"Pooh are you ready? I'm gonna sing the song for you now" I yawn closing the door walking into the booth. "Hit the button I showed you"

The instrumental played and I sung the remix I made to Queen Naija's song mama's hand.

"Do the chorus again" I heard a deep voice. I face palmed myself knowing it's Dave.

Walking out the booth I stared at the floor going towards him.

"Why do you always pop up at the most embarrassing times?"

"What you mean?" he chuckles, lifting my chin forcing me to look at him.

"I sounded like a constipated whale" I groan lowly  "I'll delete it, sorry"

"Aaliyah" he laughs loudly, wrapping his arms around me "you sound great and you're not deleting anything"

"Mommy" Hope shouts clapping her hands "I wanna be like you"

"Me too" Kairi starts singing my lyrics but messed them up tremendously, Hope giggled at her doing the same thing.

"Why would they wanna be like me?" I ask myself out loud. Dave squeezed my side groaning. "What?"

"You're a great person to look up too, I'm glad Kairi looks up to someone like you instead of bougie female that thinks having four baby daddies are the new trend."

I laughed pulling away from him turning the knobs on the keyboard before hitting the lights.

They all left the room but I stayed behind to erase my song.

When I was done I froze in place at the sight in front of me.

"Shit, Dave don't do that" I gasp holding my chest "almost gave me a heart attack"

"Whatever your recording that song again"

"No I'm not" I scoff slapping his butt walking out the room

"I hate you" he groans brushing past me walking out the door towards his car. The kids held my hands as we walked across the street.

"But you love me also" I said to Dave as I helped Kairi in her car seat. He just looked at me rolling his eyes like a kid.

"Mommy can you play your song damaged-" I cut her off by faking coughing. Dave jerked the car back and looked at me.

"Hush Pooh" I said feeling my face heat up from Dave's gaze. "drive David"

"What song? I wanna hear it" he says speeding out the parking lot

"She's sleepy, she doesn't know what she's saying" I said looking out the window

"Nu uh I heard you sing it at the beach" Hope buds in

"Hope be quiet please" I whine throwing my head back

"Okay" she sighs holding her hand up

"Ima put you out if you don't tell me what song she's talking about" Dave says unlocking the car doors

"Slow down first" I said taking off my seatbelt. He scoffed picking up speed looking at me with an eyebrow raised. "Bet, bye babies!"

Just as I was about to jump he pulled me back my waist swerving lanes in the process.

"What the fuck!" He yelled, I laughed closing the door putting my seatbelt back on.

"Our Mommy is crazy" Hope whispers loudly to Kairi who nods agreement with widen eyes.

🥀•DAMAGED•🥀GOODS•🥀