XXII

"What the hell are those?" Erlanda asked as they crouched down on the rocks of Gundabad, watching bat creatures fly above them.

"Blood-sucking servants of Melkor. They are bred for war."

The two of them watched as an Orc on a Warg climbed atop a rock nearby. He was as pale as Azog and had multiple pieces of metal in his body. The Orc lifted an arm in which he held a weapon and yelled something in his dark language.

Horns were blown and a giant army started to march out of the stronghold. They were far too much to count and could easily overrun Lake Town and the dwarves of Erebor.

"We have to warn the others," Erlanda said, not even noticing how she slipped from the common tongue into elvish.

"We may be too late. Hurry!"  Legolas replied and they climbed down the rocks again, making their way to Legolas' horse.

As they arrived in Dale, the fight had already started and Erlanda used her sword to hack away at Orcs left and right as Legolas led his horse through the city. 

"Gandalf!" Legolas yelled as they stopped in front of the Wizard.

"Legolas," he replied, coming closer, "Legolas Greenleaf." As Legolas got off the horse, Gandalf could also see Erlanda. "And Erlanda, good to see you again."

Erlanda nodded and got off the horse. She gave Bilbo, who had been standing by Gandalf, a weak smile as Legolas immediately came to the point.

"There is a second army. Bolg leads a force of Gundabad Orcs. They are almost upon us."

"Gundabad." Gandalf said in realization, "This was their plan all along. Azog engages our forces, then Bolg sweeps in from the north."

"The North?" Bilbo asked. "Where is the north...exactly?"

"Ravenhill," Gandalf told him.

"Ravenhill? Thorin is up there. And Fili and Kili. They're all up there." 

Erlanda cursed in khuzdul, which she had picked up from Dwalin, "We have to get up there," she told Legolas and made her way to his horse only to see that it was gone. She cursed again and then made her way on foot to the Ravenhill.

Shortly before they arrived, they split up so that they could find the dwarves faster. Erlanda managed to get into one of the tunnels from the outside and quickly found.

"Erlanda?" Kili asked, "What are you doing here?"

"Trying to save your lives," she panted, "It's a trap. We have to get out of here. Where is Fili?"

"We split up, he should be somewhere here." 

The two of them went to look for the blond dwarf. They had looked through the entire path he could have taken and ended up on the opening of the tunnels when they heard an Orc, Azog, speak in their dark language.

They looked up, only to see Fili being held up over the edge of the tower. "Run!" Fili yelled put no one moved. The Orc pierced the prince with his metal hand and let him fall to the ground.

Luckily, Kili and Erlanda were not too far under him and Erlanda managed to catch his falling form. The two of them then carried him outside before Kili ran off to avenge his brother.

"Kili!" Erlanda heard Thorin yell as he ran off to stop Kili and then she heard Dwalin call out Thorin's name to stop their king. Great. 

Nobody had waited to see if Fili was actually dead. Erlanda didn't know why but for some reason, she knew what to do. She held her head over Fili's mouth and nose, pushing away her hair so she could see Fili's chest.