XVII

Bard put something heavy on the table in front of the dwarves. It was wrapped up in cloth that he now began to untie. He opened up the cloth and revealed an array of strange objects.

The dwarves grabbed some of them and inspected them, not happy with what they saw. 

"What is this?" Thorin asked, holding up what he had in hand. It was mostly made out of wood but had three hooks at the front. 

"Pike hook," Bard told him, "Made from an old harpoon."

"And this?" Kili held up a metal clump on a stick. 

"A crowbill, we call it. Fashioned from a smithy's hammer." Erlanda watched Thorin and Dwalin exchange a look as Bard continued, "It's heavy in hand, I grant but in defence of your life, these will serve you better than none."

Gloin looked at him grumpily, "We paid you for weapons. Iron-forged swords and axes!"

"It's a joke!" Bofur exclaimed throwing the strange wooden objects he had been holding onto the table. The other dwarves copied his action.

"You won't find better outside the city armoury. All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key."

Erlanda once again saw Dwalin and Thorin exchange a look.

"Thorin," Balin said, "Why not take what's on offer and go? I've made do with less. So have you." then he added a bit louder, "I say we leave now."

"You aren't going anywhere," Bard said.

"What did you say?" Dwalin asked.

"There are spies watching this house and probably every dock and wharf in the town." he looked around the company, "You must wait till nightfall."

Erlanda sighed and sat down on a bench. Her Leg was growing numb now which must be because of the wound. 

As Bard left the house, they waited until Bofur said, "He's far enough away."

Erlanda nodded. "Bain?" she called out. The boy had been watching the dwarves every move but now looked to her.

"Do you think you can get me something to wrap this up freshly?" she asked motioning to her leg.

The boy nodded and went into another room, luckily Sigrid was with Tilda in another room on the other side so the dwarves quickly left the house. 

Bain came back with a bandage and saw as Bombur was walking out of the door after the others. "Hey!" he called out, "You can't leave!"

Fili poked his head back into the house, "You can't stop us."

They left quickly and Bain stayed in the house. He couldn't leave his sisters. 

The company made its way through the small town trying not to be seen while finding the armoury. As they found it, it was already dark.

"Can you see something?" Bilbo asked.

"I can't see anything," Oin answered.

Thorin whispered, "As soon as we have the weapons, we make straight for the mountain." he then motioned for Nori to go, "Go, go!"

"Go, Nori!" Dori whisper-yelled at his younger brother who ran up some of the dwarves who were on all fours next to and on top of each other to build stairs that led to an open window of the armoury.

"Next," Thorin whispered and Bilbo copied Nori's actions. They continued like this until most of the dwarves but were inside.

Kili helped Erlanda reach up to Dwalin and Thorin who pulled her up. She then reached down again and pulled up Kili. 

The dwarves took all the weapons that they might need and handed them to Kili and Erlanda. The two of them made their way down the stairs as a sudden pain ran up Erlanda's leg. She winced and tumbled forward against Kili making them both tumble down the stairs while the weapons clattered to the floor loudly.

They heard guards shouting in the distance and Kili cursed next to Erlanda. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "It's not your fault. We shouldn't have given you so much to carry," he told her but she knew that he was still angry.

They were quickly captured by the guards and brought to the town square in front of the Master's house.

"What is the meaning of this?"  a man asked as he exited the house in front of them. He had orange hair that reached his shoulders but the top of his head was almost bald. Only a few strands of hair were spread over it and in his face was the ugliest moustache Erlanda had ever seen while his stomach was almost as round as Bombur's.

"We caught them stealing weapons, sire." one of the guards said, he was not wearing a helmet like the others and his clothes were different too. Erlanda thought he must have a higher ranking than them.

"Enemy's of the state, eh?"

Alfrid stepped forward now, "A desperate bunch of mercenaries, if ever there was, sire."

"Hold your tongue!" Dwalin warned. He stepped forward, "You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal." he looked back at his third cousin, "This is Thorin son of Thrain, son of Thror!"

The crowd started murmuring as Thorin stepped forward. 

"We are the Dwarves of Erebor." Thorin spoke and gasps were heard in the crowd,  "We have come to reclaim our homeland. I remember this town in the great days of old." he looked around, "Fleets of boats lay at the harbour filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake. This was the centre of all trade in the North!" the crowd around him nodded in agreement. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the Dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the Halls of Erebor!" the crowd around Thorin cheered as he looked at the Master.

"Death!" a voice yelled and Erlanda turned to see Bard walking to them, "That is what you will bring upon us!" Erlanda and Bilbo stepped apart to let him through, "Dragon fire and ruin." he stopped in front of Thorin, "If you wake that beast...it will destroy us all."

1013 Words

The Last Kingdom is giving me so many feels rn, I can't wait for season 4