XVI

A greasy looking man that was dressed completely in black and had joined eyebrows inspected Bard's papers, "'Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland realm' only..." he pointed with the paper at the barrels, "they're not empty," he let the paper fly off in the wind, "are they, Bard? If I recall correctly you're licensed as a bargeman and not as," he picked up a fish, "a fisherman."

"That's none of your business," Bard said.

"Wrong. It's the Master's business, which makes it my business; and what is she," he pointed at Erlanda, "doing here. Who are you?"

"I na- ú- cín rhû, golodh," she told him.

"She was sent from the Woodland Realm to look over the cargo until it arrives," Bard told the man.

The man looked her up and down in her tattered clothes, luckily her hair was hiding her ears, "She doesn't look like an elf."

Erlanda nodded, "Cin ceri- ú- thír like a firen"

"She's a servant," Bard told him.

"Well," the man said, "Nonetheless, this fish is not permitted to enter Lake Town."

"Oh, come on, Alfrid, have a heart." Bard pleaded, "People need to eat."

"This fish is illegal." Alfrid threw the fish he was holding into the lake. "Empty the barrels over the side," he ordered five guards who started to do as they were told.

Bard looked from the barrels to Alfrid, "Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard." Erlanda watched concerned how the guards began dumping fish. "Food is scarce." Bard continued.

"That's not my problem," Alfrid told him and Erlanda had to refrain herself from looking at the man in disgust.

"And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake," Bard said, "when the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?"

The man looked at Bard in hatred but then lifted his hand, "Stop." he signalled to the guards who set the barrels back down. Alfrid then spoke to Bard again, "Ever the people's champion eh, Bard? Protector of the common folk. You might have their favour now, bargeman but it won't last." he stepped away from Bard who sighed.

"Open the gate!" Percy yelled. Bard got back on his boat as the gate into Lake Town was opened for them.

Alfrid turned back to look at Bard as he made his way towards the gate, "The Master has his eyes on you." he spoke, "You'd be better to remember: We know where you live."

"It's a small town, Alfrid." Bard said, "Everyone knows where everyone lives."

Erlanda refrained herself from laughing and just looked ahead with a small smile on her face as they made their way through the town.

As they arrived at another dock, Barth bound his boat to it and then kicked over the barrel with Nori in it. He continued tipping over barrels with the help of Erlanda until all the dwarves were freed and reeking of fish.

Bard handed a man a coin. "You didn't see them. They were never here." he turned to walk away but then looked at the man again, "The ish you can have for nothing." He walked in front of the dwarves. "Follow me," he stated, looking around.

Erlanda looked at the dwarves and then followed the man, the dwarves close behind her. 

As they were walking beneath another house, a boy came running towards them, "Da! Our house, it's being watched."

Bard looked back at the dwarves. Then he picked up some things from around him and handed some to his son and some to Erlanda. "You swim underneath the houses," he told the dwarves. He then pointed at a house not too far away, "That's where you come up. You'll know the exact spot when you see it."

"What about 'Landa?" Dwalin asked. 

"She's human. She won't attract any attention, at least not the kind you'd attract." Bard answered and then nodded forward signalling his son to start walking to their house. 

Erlanda followed the boy with Bard behind her as they made their way around a few corners and then up a flight of stairs. She entered the house behind the boy as Bard stayed outside a moment. 

As Bard entered, a little girl in a blue dress came walking towards him, "Da! Where have you been?" She ran and hugged him as another girl walked over to him, "Father! There you are! I was worried." she hugged him too and then Bard turned to Erlanda who awkwardly standing in their living room.

"This is Tilda." he motioned to the younger girl and then to the older, "and this is Sigrid. You've already met Bain." he nodded at the boy standing near Erlanda. "Girls, Bain, this is..."

"Erlanda," she told him.

Bard nodded. "She and her companions need our help."

"Who are your companions?" Tilda asked curiously.

"Bah, get them in," Bard told his son.

Erlanda smiled at the girl, "You'll meet them soon." as she heard Dwalins ruff voice, she added. "And don't be afraid. They look more intimidating then they are."

Sigrid looked down to where the dwarves were coming up, "Da, why are there Dwarves climbing out of our toilet?"

"Will they bring us luck?" Tilda asked and Erlanda snorted very un-ladylike. "Who knows," she told her as Kili glared at Erlanda.

The dwarves then made themselves comfortable and dried their wet things in front of the fire while Tilda handed out cloaks.

Bard came towards them, "They might not fit you but they'll keep you warm."

Erlanda sat beside the window as Tilda came to her. "I'm fine, thank you," she told the girl. "This is enough." she patted the coat she was wearing.

"Hey, that's mine," Gloin said, looking at the woman.

Erlanda gave him a sheepish smile. "I might have taken it when you forgot it at Beorn's. It's very comfortable."

The dwarf grumbled slightly but then turned towards the fire again. It seems like he didn't really miss it.

Thorin, who had been looking out of the window, spoke, "A dwarvish windlance."

"You look like you've seen a ghost," Bilbo commented.

Balin stepped towards the two, "He has. The last time we saw such a weapon a city was on fire. It was the day the dragon came. The day that Smaug destroyed Dale." he told Bilbo and Erlanda, who had now leaned in to hear the older dwarves story, "Girion, the Lord of the City rallied his bowmen to fire upon the beast. But a dragon's hide is tough. Tougher than the strongest armour. Only a Black Arrow fired from a windlance could have pierced the dragon's hide."

"Why did nobody kill him?" Erlanda asked, "When they had a windlance."

"The windlance is not the problem," Balin told her. "The rarity of the arrows is. Only a few of them were ever made. Girion had three but his storage ran low as he made his last stand."

Still looking out of the window, Thorin spoke, "Had the aim of Men been truer that day much would have been different."

The wooden floor creaked as Bard came towards them, "You speak as if you were there."

"All dwarves know the tale," Thorin said.

Bain stepped towards his father, "Then you would know that Girion hit the dragon. He loosened a scale under the left wing. One more shot and he would have killed the beast."

Dwalin chuckled from behind the two, "That's a fairy story, lad. Nothing more."

Thorin now moved away from the window and stood in front of Bard. "You took our money. Where are our weapons?"

1271 Words