The One Who got Away

Start from the beginning

But, like always, whenever something good happened, something bad had to follow. This time, trouble came in the face of Sara's ex. Nyssa Al Ghul.

She was surprised to see her. The two hadn't spoken since they'd broken up on Nanda Parpet, and honestly, Sara hadn't been expecting to ever see her again. She sort of figured she would be trapped in the damn place for the rest of her life. But her voice was unmistakable. Sara would never forget.

"Sara?"

The White Canary pulled away from her girlfriend, startled. She turned to see her ex, standing across the street, a shocked -- and if she was being honest -- hurt expression on her face.

Sara blinked. "Nyssa?"

Ava looked back and forth between the too, frowning deeply. "Um, I take it you two know each other?" she said awkwardly.

Sara scratched the back of her neck, laughing even though nothing funny had been said. "We, uh...We use to date..."

"Ah." Ava nodded. "Well, I think I'll let you two talk..." She walked a little ways away, going to sit inside a nearby coffee shop to wait. Sara tried to shoot her an apologetic look as she went, but Ava wouldn't meet her eyes.

Sara sighed and turned back to Nyssa, who had come a little closer now.

"Sara," she said again.

Wordlessly, Sara wrapped her arms around her ex, before holding her at arm's length. "I missed you."

"And I you." Nyssa smiled lightly for a moment. Then, she frowned again. Her dark hair was swept up by the wind, flapping in her face unflatteringly. "But you've already moved on...I don't wish to stand in your way. I simply had to see you one last time."

"I didn't think I was going to see you again," Sara tried to explain. "The last time I saw you --"

Nyssa held up her hand. Her eyes looked glassy, but no tears fell. She was never one to cry over such trivial things. "Don't fret, my beloved. It is nothing to be ashamed of." She paused for a moment. "You look happy."

Sara nodded, slowly. She was happier than she had ever been in her entire life. So, then why did she feel so guilty being faced with Nyssa? Was it because she feared Nyssa would think she hadn't made her happy when they had been together? Surely not. Nyssa had been Sara's light through all those dark times, the rock that kept her grounded. She was the first woman she had ever really loved. Was she afraid her ex would be jealous of how far she had come? She wasn't sure, but the feeling weighed heavy on her, like the water the night the Queen's Gambit had crashed. 

She felt her lungs filling up, her air gradually being sucked out of her throat. Her palms grew sweaty. But the feeling went as quickly as it had come at Nyssa's next words.

"I am happy for you Sara," she said. "Really. And as I said before, I will not stand in your way. All I could ever want for you is your happiness. And if this woman makes you happy...then I wish the best for the both of you."

Sara smiled lightly. "Thank you, Nyssa." After a moment's pause, she added, "I hope you find someone else too. You deserve your own happiness."

Nyssa's eyes flickered to the ground for a brief moment. "I'm afraid it's too late for my happiness, beloved. I am far too corrupted."

Sara shrugged. "I use to think the same thing. But here I am, happier than I've ever been."

"I am glad to hear it...Perhaps, it's not too late then. Maybe I will find another..."

"I know you will."

Nyssa touched her cheek gingerly, and Sara leaned into the touch just the slightest bit. She knew Ava was probably watching, but she also knew her girlfriend trusted her enough not to go running back to her ex. As much as Sara had cared for Nyssa, as much as she had loved being with her, their time was over. Their relationship had already reached its end. It was time for the two to move on.

Because the truth was, their relationship had been as destructive as it had been beautiful. Sara had played with Nyssa's heart more than one -- ignoring her, cheating on her with Oliver. And Nyssa had once even kidnapped Sara's family in an attempt to manipulate her into coming back to the League of Assassins. They both deserved so much better than that.

Nyssa lowered her hand and stepped away. "Goodbye, beloved. I won't forget you."

"I'll always remember you," Sara promised.

She watched, as Nyssa turned and disappeared down the street. In a matter of seconds, the dark-haired woman had blended in with the shadows, and Sara could no longer see her. Sara smiled to herself. She knew this wouldn't be the last time she saw Nyssa Al Ghul. She had a habit of showing up just when Sara needed her. Besides, Star City was kind of hard to stay away from, especially if you're looking for some action. So, yeah, Nyssa would be back. And Sara would be waiting. And maybe, just maybe the next time they met, they'd both have proper families of their own -- wives, kids, all of it. And then Nyssa could finally be more than just 'the one who got away.'

------

This was actually pretty good, if I do say so myself. And surprisingly easy, considering I don't really ship Ava and Sara all that much. I loved writing from Sara's point of view. And it was so refreshing to create a scene where she has finally found some inner peace. It was good that she got a little more closure with Nyssa too. I always felt like she got the raw end of the deal, Nyssa.

Over all, I think this is definitely one of my favorite one shots I've done. What did you guys think? Let me know in the comments!

That's all for now,

Toodles!

~ Elsie