A Taste Of Freedom

Start from the beginning

Part of me wanted him to stop, knowing that I should be angry, but the much bigger part of me wanted him to carry on.

His eyes instantly turned downcast, as his fingers had touched one of my scars. Quickly, his brows drew in concern "What are these?" He drew closer to inspect my arms, his breath ticking my skin. "I don't understand... What exactly happened here Alyssa? We've had rumours, but this?" He glanced at himself, and shifted so that he was sat next to me on the bed. Clearly not understanding the effect that that position had on my breathing.

Looking at the many marks on my wrist reminded me that I couldn't be with Harley like I'd just been before. Taking a breath to inform Harley of the horrors that'd been inflicted upon me, I realised that I couldn't unleash the torrent of emotions. Not here.

I shrugged my shoulders helplessly, and gave my head a single shake.

His fist slammed the mahogany head board, making the whole room shudder as he said "It wasn't supposed to happen like this. None of this," He gestured with his hands to the room around him, "was supposed to happen. You were never ment to get hurt."

Defeatedly, I looked towards the floor and whispered, "Get me out of here, Harley."

Jumping off of the bed he withdrew his sword with a feral look in his eyes, and gave me a single nod as he went to the door of the room.

Carefully, I lent over the side of my bed reaching for the shoes, and once my fingers touched the dark leather I pulled them both towards me.

Swinging my legs out of the side of the bed, I pushed my feet into the shoes,brushing against the tissue at the front.

As I took two deep breaths, I lent against the bedside table as I pulled myself up. My arms began to shake, and I felt a small bead of sweat trickle down the back of my neck.

Closing my eyes in concentration, I gripped the table until you could see the whites of my knuckles, and that's when my knees started to shake.

"Don't fall," I muttered. Great. Talking to yourself, another sign of madness.

Soft, warm hands slid around my waist, and then under my legs as I was swiftly lifted off of the ground.

"Harley!" I gasped. "Put me down!" To exercise my point, I feebly kicked my legs.

"You sure about that?" He retorted, as his arms went slack and I felt gravity begin to claim me.

Exasperated, I let out a squeal and threw my arms around his neck, not wanting to land flat on the floor.

The low chuckle which rumbled in his throat was enough to remind me who I was dealing with.

Needing to remind myself and him about the distance we needed to keep I said "This," I notioned towards his arms under my knees and around my waist, "changes nothing between us."

As he let out a contented sigh, his fingers drew patterns on my stomach, and I felt my head fall slowly and fit snugly on his shoulder. My body let out a betraying shiver.

"You sure about that?" He repeats, still drawing those infuriating patterns against my stomach.

Images of the room in the hull of the ship flash before my eyes, as well as a distorted image of Stephanie, and I felt my stomach clench as I froze in his arms. Reluctantly, I removed my head from his shoulder. "Yes," I replied. "Quite sure."

His grip tightened protectively around me, but I couldn't allow myself that little part of respite again. I'd start relying on him like I did before, to get me out of the cage, but maybe this time I was too damaged to be fixed.