Please hear my calls

My calls of praise to you!

For we are yours

Your own true children!

Smile upon us with grace

For we want none more

Then to make you smile

Oh great Xal

Please hear my calls

My calls of praise to you!

True, that I could go on about how this song had been passed down, as out of tune, and how the words didn’t play together like the songs sung today. It still meant a lot to my people. It was a song sung by the Dragons of Old who were born in the time of the Great Xal. And let's just say back then, they just sung, no real tune was thought of.

Yet they only sung this song when celebrating. Such as: the birth of a ruler, a battle won with no losses, or even the death of a hated foe. I walked up to my Mama and smiled.

“Mama, why are we celebrating? What was happened while I was gone?” I yelled up to her, but she didn’t even seem to hear me.

Then my Mama turned to Uncle Zan and smiled.

“Oh my baby brother, isn’t this wonderful?” We won’t have to have a weak and pathetic human as our Queen or Princess now!” My Mama called out as she roared in joy and flapped her wings. The rest of the dragons did the same.

But wasn’t I the Princess?

“Yes! Very true sister dear! Now that our plan has worked and the Human Zartiyil has died in battle we will not have to worry about her taking the throne!” My Uncle Zan bellowed back out to his sister and let out a roar of flames into the sky.

"WHAT! Uncle, please do not say that is true! I’m not dead! I’m here, right in front of you! Please just look at me! PLEASE!” I screamed my throat hoarse but still they did not even seem to notice me.

Then my Mama glided to Zralor side and began preening him lovingly.

“Ah, my son I am so proud of you! You managed to ensure that wretched human’s death in battle! I am so proud of you!” My Mama nuzzled Zralor’s side while he grinned.

“It wasn’t that hard! She was just a human! Hahaha! Now that she is no longer plaguing my life I can spend all my time with these lovely dragons.” Zralor wrapped his wings around the dragonesses who swooned just as before.

I won’t believe this I can’t believe this! This isn’t happening! This isn’t real!

“Now a toast! To the death of Zartiyil! No longer will she plague our lives!” Uncle Zan called out as the dragons roared flames in response.

“I can’t take this anymore!” With a scream I flung myself off the side of the area and began falling thru the sky. Tears were streaming down my face as I cried out.

Then a blur began to fall beside me. I couldn’t see it clearly due to the tears in my eyes and the clouds as I was falling faster to my much awaited death.

“You must wake up.” A calm voice rang thru my thoughts.

“Huh? What are you talking about?”

“Wake up…wake up…you must wake up.” The voiced called out to me again.

“Who are you?”

“Wake up…wake…up…awaken…” Then the figure began to fade. I reached out to grasp it, but I felt nothing.

I was grasping air.

“Come back! Help me! Please come back!” I looked down and saw the approaching ground. I began to scream flailing around hoping someone would stop me before I hit it. Then I couldn’t breathe. My oxygen was failing me. As I clutched my neck gasping for air, I woke up.

The first thing I heard was the growling of Dextu and a small giggle. Then I felt a large mass sitting on my chest and fingers holding my nose closed, so that I had to breathe with my mouth.

It was a young human girl. She smiled at me and removed her fingers from my nose. Her hair fell over her shoulders much like mine but the color was of the sun, and her eyes were the color of the sky. She smiled and tilted her head.

“You’re awake!” She giggled out with a smile.

“Yes, I’m awake. Now who are you and what are you doing here?” I reach up and rub my nose where she had held it.

“I’m Odette and I heard you screaming so I woke you up! You must have been having a very bad nightmare! I could hear your screams from outside in the garden. It scared the birds away.” She finished with a grin and tilted her head cutely.

“Okay, Odette, I am Zartiyil. Now could you please get off of my chest?” Odette giggled again and slid of my chest.

“M’kay! Oh by the way, Zarti! I love your eyes! You should never close them! They look like rainbows!” Odette raised a tiny hand and pointed at my eyes. I smiled and felt warmth creep onto my face.

“Thank you Odette, I like your eyes too. They look like the sky…” I reached out and tucked a stray strand of hair from her face behind her ear.

“I like you! Come on get up! I want you to eat dinner with me!” Odette hopped off the bed and began to tug at my hand in the direction of the door. I smiled and complied after I gave Dextu praise and a pat on the head, which satisfied him.

I felt a tiny hand curled into mine as Odette tugged me along the castle hallways, much like Minnie had done earlier.

As Odette began to go on about eyes and how much she loved the colors of them, I found myself think back to the dream.

It seemed so real. It couldn’t have been real. Could it? And that figure…who was that?