Chapter 2: There's Almost Two And A Half Thousand People Here?

Harper^

For those of you thinking 'she's warming up to him way too quickly' just remember it's like an oversized fluffy dog, and who wouldn't love a puppy right away? Don't forget she used to have two dogs so she's somewhat used to Viribus' behaviour. 

Anyway thanks for reading! 

***

Harper Stewarts

I stir awake when the sun's bright rays blind me. 

How long have I slept? 

I attempt to find my alarm clock on my bedside table but stop short when my hand accidentally bumps a cold dog nose. 

Confused I crack my eyes open, staring at me instead is a huge wolf. 

Then it dawns on me. 

Right, werewolves actually exist. And I'm mated to one. Oh and it's up to me to save one. 

Rolling over I feel like I'm floating on clouds with this mattress. I prop myself up on my elbow as I face Viribus' studying gaze. 

Reaching a hand out I give his furry chin a acratch. "Morning, Viribus." 

He shuffles his large frame a little closer before rubbing his cold nose into my neck inhaling. "Hey, that tickles!" I giggle not really trying to push him away, he's literally a full sized huggable teddy bear. 

We lay like that for a while, me stroking from his nose till his back, until my stomach growls interrupting the silence. 

Viribus abruptly pulls his head up and jumps off the bed stretching out his long limbs. He seems to be waiting for me to go with him so I slip out and shuffle my way to him. The cold air bites at my bare legs as the hoodie covers the already short pyjama bottoms. 

Ronin seems to figure out that I'm cold as he lets himself into the closet and returns with a pair of grey sweatpants. 

"Thanks," I say accepting the pants. I make sure to give him a good rub behind the ears. 

Seemingly satisfied now he slowly pads to the door and looks at me expectantly. Following after him we eventually wind up in an enormous dining area. 

"Morning, Luna." Who? I look behind me confused. "Oh sorry, I forgot to explain that Alpha's mates are called Luna. They're the Alpha female." 

I nod understanding. "Uh, is it okay if you just call me Harper for now?" 

"Sure," Rafael finishes frying a mountain of bacon only to open another package of raw meat. There's already tons of cooked food spread out across the long dark counter. 

"You going to eat all that?" I accidentally blurt out. 

Way to be polite in a guest's house. 

Chuckling he flips over the strips with some tongs. "It's not all for me, most of the pack eats here for breakfast too." 

"Most?" I question. 

"Yeah," he throws away the wrappers and styrofoam trays. "The wolves with families have their own houses and have meals there. Unmated wolves live in the pack house and also eat here." 

Starting to make sense of it, I climb onto one of the barstools swinging my legs. "That's why this building is so big. Wait, how many people live in this pack?" 

"This pack," he makes a circling motion with his greasy tongs. "Black Diamond, has 2,467 members." 

Holy crap that's a lot.