Chapter 18

A knock came on Hebe's hotel door an hour after the evening meal. Hebe knew who it was before she opened the door. She'd been waiting for this all day. Amun stood leaning against the door frame with his arms crossed looking delicious. Hebe invited him inside.

"I brought wine." Amun said as soon as the door closed. "It's nothing like the wine of Ancient Egypt, but its close enough."

Hebe held in her questions till Amun had poured them both a glass of wine. "What happened?" Hebe asked softly as Amun handed her a glass of wine. "How is this possible? I thought I'd never see you again.""

Amun took a slow drink of his wine. He appeared thoughtful and looked as if he was choosing his words carefully. "Please bear with me Hebe."

"We have all night Amun."

The look Amun gave Hebe made her gasp softly. "I know, but I don't want to spend all of it talking."

After a long pause, Amun started his tale.

"Things began to fall apart very quickly after I started sleeping with you. My heart just wasn't into finding a wife amongst my people. My heart lay with you and people noticed that, but they couldn't figure out who had stolen it since I never showed affection to any of the women in the harem. Civil war rose up in Ancient Egypt and I was subsequently murdered by those I trusted most."

"I'm so sorry Amun."

Amun shrugged. "It happens more often than history realizes. My tomb was already prepared and my body mummified. I had always envisioned going on to the afterlife and helping Ra fight against chaos, but my thoughts of the afterlife had changed after I met you."

Amun turned and touched Hebe's cheek. "My afterlife is wherever you are Hebe. It felt like an eternity had passed since I left you, but I woke up in a nice house along the Nile with memories of my past. All I could think about was getting back to you."

Tears burned Hebe's eyes. She sniffed. Amun handed her a handkerchief and Hebe smiled tearfully at him. "Thanks." She blew her nose before she spoke again. "I was afraid that I had lost you."

Amun gathered Hebe into his arms. "Shh. It's alright. I'm here now."

Hebe let Amun soothe her. The stress that she had been carrying around with her leaked from her body. Hebe let out a sigh and snuggled closer to Amun.

"I'm trying to decide if I like you with hair or not."

Amun chuckled. "I can get rid of it if you want."

"Not yet. Let me try to get used to it."

Hebe pulled back from Amun. Amun let her, but he kept a like hold of her waist. His dark eyes blinked hotly down at her. Hebe slowly bit her lip and looked up at Amun from beneath her lashes.

"What do you want to do?"

The smile Amun gave Hebe made her knees go weak. "I know what I want to do, but what do you want to do?"

Hebe leaned against Amun and tilted her face up towards him. "I want you to make up for the time that you've been gone."

Amun's grin was predatorial as he captured Hebe's lips in a hungry kiss. Hebe let out a moan and clung to Amun as he moved them both back towards Hebe's bed. Amun's lips didn't leave hers as he stretched her out on the bed and began the slow process of driving her crazy.

Hebe let out a sign and traced idle patterns on Amun's muscular chest. Amun and Hebe lay twined together with the bed sheets wrapped about their legs. Hebe was content. For the first time in her life, Hebe knew where she wanted to be.

"I have something to tell you Amun."

Amun hummed and stirred slightly at her words. "I'm listening."

Hebe raised herself up so that she could peer down into Amun's face. He opened his eyes to watch her. Hebe traced the shape of his lips and placed a gentle kiss on them before she spoke.

"I love you Amun. I want to spend the rest of my life with you, if you'll have me."

Amun's eyes softened as he splayed his hands across Hebe's bare skin. "I love you too Hebe. My home is wherever you are."

A soft sigh escaped Hebe as she laid her head back down on Amun's chest. "Do you want to get married?"

Amun's laughter rumbled deep in his chest.

"I thought it was the man's place to ask his woman to marry him."

Hebe smiled without raising her head. She snuggled down closer to Amun. "It is, but I thought I lost you once and I don't want to take that chance again."

Amun's fingers ran up and down Hebe's back causing her to shiver. "I have just the ring in mind to give you. It's one that's been in my family for generations."

"I'm taking it that's a yes."

Amun chuckled. "Yes."

Hebe sighed. "I can't wait to tell Helena. She will be ecstatic."

"How soon do you want to get married?"

"The sooner the better." Hebe looked up to find Amun staring down at her. "I love you."

Amun's face softened. "I love you too and I promise you that nothing will ever separate us again."

"Who would have thought that I would have fallen in love with a Pharaoh?"

Amun placed a soft kiss on Hebe's forehead. "The Gods work in mysterious ways."

Hebe laughed as she snuggled up against Amun. If the Gods gave her a Pharaoh what would they give her next? All Hebe could do was wait and see.  Hebe was in no hurry though.  After all, she had her own personal Pharaoh to keep her occupied.