Chapter 1

All that was left of the mummy was a foot and a hand. Both were in excellent condition from what Hebe Wilson could see from where she stood peering into the glass case that contained the mummified body parts. She was standing in a private mansion viewing a private collection that could rival those of some the greatest museums in the world.

"Do you have any guess as to whom they belong to or how old they might be?"

Hebe glanced over to the owner of the private collection and shrugged before she looked back at the hand and foot.

"You are asking me the impossible Mr. Morre."

"Call me Dante, please."

"Fine," Hebe sighed. "You are asking me the impossible Dante. You have nothing but a hand and a foot in remarkable condition." Hebe stood up and addressed Dante as she pinned him with her coffee colored eyes. "Do you have anything else that could give me a clue about the age of this mummy? Perhaps some linen wrappings or some sort of amulet."

Dante shook his head sadly. "No unfortunately I don't. This is all that was offered in the sale I bought it at."

"Then I am unable to help you. All I can tell you is that it could be someone of importance since both the hand and foot are so well preserved."

Dante sighed and ran a hand through his salt and pepper colored hair. "Thank you for coming out and looking. I had hoped for better news. I want to get as much of my collection dated and authenticated. I want to have a collection to rival those that are so well known and publicized."

Hebe's eyes were drawn back down to where the foot and hand rested. Her gaze ran over them in a practiced way. She could understand Dante's infatuation with his collection. It was an amazing collection spanning several cultures and at least three thousand years.

"I can help you, but I expect to be paid well for my time and effort into getting your collection in tip top shape."

"Of course. Of course." Dante gave Hebe a relieved grin. "You are the best at what you do. I made sure to have plenty of money set aside in order to pay you if I was able to talk you into helping me. It seems that you saved me the trouble."

Hebe couldn't help but give Dante a smug grin. It had taken a lot of work for Hebe to become the best in her area of expertise. Ancient civilizations made Hebe's blood run hot. She couldn't get enough of the ancient world especially the Ancient Greeks and Egyptians.

"Do you have somewhere for me to stay?"

"I have a whole wing of the house that you can stay in."

Hebe nodded as she moved away from the mummified body parts. "I can start as soon as I have my books shipped here."

"How long will that take?" Dante asked as they moved out of his Egyptian room.

Hebe shrugged. "Not long. Give me a month to get everything that I need shipped over here and to tie up some loose ends at home so I won't get a surprise bill in the mail."

Dante laughed as he led Hebe through his house. "Let me show you where you will be staying before you leave."