Chapter 11

Helena's Aunt Modette arrived two weeks after Helena called her. Hebe had thankfully seen little of Pharaoh Amun, but she kept smelling incense and spices that were favored in Ancient Egypt all the time. It was a relief when Aunt Modette finally showed up.

Aunt Modette was a very queer woman. She was eccentric to the extreme and dressed like a gypsy who lost a battle with a bedazzler. Aunt Modette didn't care what anyone thought of her, she just went with the flow of things. A pack of tarot cards was always about her person and the scent of herbs clung to her and you would get random whiffs of herbs whenever she moved.

"Helena, darling, how are you?"

"I am good Aunt Modette." Helena said as she hugged her aunt. "I'd like you to meet Hebe."

Modette focused her attention on Hebe as Helena stepped away from her. "I have heard much about you. It is a pleasure to finally get to meet you Hebe."

"Likewise." Hebe said as Modette hugged her making her want to sneeze.

Modette circled Hebe like a dog circles a bone. Hebe raised an eyebrow at Helena who just shrugged and smiled. Modette stopped in front of Hebe and tapped a finger against her chin as she pursed her lips. She raised her hands and the fringe on Modette's shawl tinkled as she shook her hands around Hebe's body muttering under her breath the entire time.

"You are Greek. Yes?"

Hebe nodded. "I am, as well as Egyptian."

Modette nodded. "I would hazard a guess that someone has turned the evil eye on you and set a curse upon your head, but I sense no evil spirits at work."

"Can you sense the man attached to Hebe, Aunt Modette?"

Modette shook her head. "I can sense something, but it is hard to focus on." Modette turned and spoke to her niece. "Can you take me to where all of this first started?"

Helena looked at Hebe. Hebe spoke up. "I can show you. It was in the Ancient Egyptian collection."

Hebe led the way to the Ancient Egyptian collection. She stopped in front of the glass cases containing the mummified hand and foot. "This is where I first encountered the man."

Modette studied the mummified body parts with interest. "Did you hold them?"

"Yes."

Modette nodded as she stood up. "I believe that whatever spirit was connected to these items is now connected to you." Modette turned and pinned Hebe with her far seeing eyes. "What else can you tell me?"

"I am the only one who can see the man. I don't always see him though. Sometimes I sense his presence and other times I smell incense or hear the sound of candles burning. It started out where he would appear to me for many minutes before he even knew I existed. Once he saw me, he would disappear. Things took a sudden turn a while ago when he was able to physically touch me."

"What did that touch feel like?"

"Like a jolt of electricity. Then the day before Helena called you, I woke to the man sitting watching me sleep. He told me his name and that he would make sure that no one disturbed my slumber."

"What name did he give you?"

"Pharaoh Amun."

Modette frowned. "Do you believe he is telling you the truth?"

"He seemed genuine. We only know a fraction of the Pharaohs who ruled Egypt. There could very well have been a Pharaoh named Amun."

"Were you able to determine a time period that he could have been from?"

Hebe shook her head. "Sadly, no. Clothing in Ancient Egypt didn't change all that much. If I could have seen some of the architect and statuary around him then maybe I could give you a time period."

"Do you feel threatened by him?"

"No."

"Hm..." Modette looked back down at the hand and foot. "I will see what I can do. It could be that his spirit was attached to these items and he has now attached himself to you."

Hebe nodded. "If he is attached to me, I want to know for sure if he's dangerous to me."

Modette nodded. "I fear that if he had ill intentions for you it would have already shown them."