Chapter Three: Or Both?

Or Both?

!~* Preston's POV *~!

She was freaking out, but I wasn't surprised. The second my mother opened the door to my room, she began screaming, and hadn't stopped since. We were both fully clothed, rather close, but clothed. When her cries entered Kayla and I's ears, we both jumped from the bed, standing on opposite sides of it as my mom gave us the tongue lashing of a lifetime. Kayla's face had flushed, and all color had banished, being the first time she had ever been scolded. Though all my mom rambled to her about was her future and how bright she was, Kayla looked as if she were on the verge of tears.

I bit my lip, holding back a laugh as my mom ventured into Kayla's future and her parents, which I knew was beginning to bother her. Based on what she told me, she loved her parents, but she despised the fact she was constantly tied to their success, and had to be held to standards other people who had no idea who she was put in place. I was becoming angry, I could feel my heartbeat kicking into overdrive, and color rising to my cheeks. I wasn't sure why I had become so protective over her, especially towards my mother, but it was happening. She was my friend, the most important and closest one at the time, and I wasn't willing to let someone walk over her when she'd been walked over her entire life.

"What do you think your parents would say, Kayla?!"

"Mom!" I butted, finally hearing enough. "She was having a bad dream, and she just needed someone to comfort her. Nothing happened. Kayla's better than that, smarter. Besides, the door was open the whole time."

"Ms. Knight, I would never disrespect your home in such a way. I just have a serious nightmare problem, and I knew I could look to him for protection and comfort, a-as a friend," Kayla finally defended, looking over at me.

"Yeah. We've got this mom, we have boundaries." My mom took a heavy breath, looking between us, and frowning.

"You're sure?" She questioned pointedly.

"Yes," I answered while Kayla answered with a "yes ma'am."

"I'm trusting you guys. Now, Kayla, you may stay whenever you would like, but I'm warning you, Preston, all it takes is one time. Sorry, Kayla, I am so sorry for the way I snapped, but you know my kid, and you know how slick he can be," she sighed, pulling Kayla into her arms for a long hug.

"Alright, alright, mom. That's enough shade for today," I cleared my throat, watching as the two parted with smiles.

"I'm taking Heather to school, I'll see you guys tonight. Kayla, you and Pressy are cooking tonight!" She called before waltzing down the stairs, meeting Heather at the bottom.

I sighed once my mom was gone, and turned to begin making up my bed, with Kayla following. Silently, I tugged my sheets back in place, waiting for her to do the same on her side before pulling the cover back onto the bed. I watched as she had an uncertain look on her face, and bit her bottom lip. I shrugged, deciding to give her a minute, considering the color was just starting to return to her cheeks.

"Thank you," she blurted so quietly, I almost missed it, looking down as she picked up a pillow, throwing it on my bed.

"Well, I know it was uncomfortable," I brushed it off, waiting for her to meet my eyes.

"Yeah, but we both apologized, so we're good, right?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't you be?"

"I don't know. She's just been so nice by letting me stay here, and everything, and I don't want to get on her bad side."