Chapter Twenty-Three:

Kayla sighed, rubbing her stomach as she sat down in her office chair. Her best friend was right: the last part of pregnancy was more uncomfortable than the first two. She was eight months along and the swelling was in full force. The baby was growing steadily and was measuring a week earlier than the original due date. Her hands had grown to the size of Italian sausages, and her feet looked like hot dogs. She was tired almost constantly. Between not being able to find a good spot to sleep in, the baby moving around, and Brayden waking up three times a night to pee, it was rare that Kayla got more than four hours of sleep a night.

Preston tried to make it better. He massaged her every chance he had, he rubbed and cooed until she felt better. It wasn't that it was painful but it was definitely uncomfortable. She was handling pregnancy really well despite the feet, hands, and sleeping. But he hated to see his baby pouting. The moment she complained about her feet hurting, he rushed over to her, kissed her belly, and got to work. As she thought about him, Kayla looked at the pictures on her desk. They were maternity pictures from a shoot they did a week ago. Her heart swelled as she glanced at the ones of Preston's forehead pressed against hers as they both smiled at each other. That was her favorite next to the one of Brayden kissing her tummy. Her boys meant everything to her and then some. Though they kept her busy and tired, she wouldn't have traded her family in for anything.

"Kayla?" Her assistant said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Huh?"

"Are you okay? You were spaced out..."

"Oh! I'm great, sorry. What's up?"

"Preston is here to see you," she nodded.

"Oh! Send him—"

"Baby," Preston cooed, placing a million things on the floor before her assistant closed her door and left.

"What's all this?" She asked, walking to him and kissing his lips gently.

"Stuff I brought back for us and the baby. Lemme see," he grinned.

Preston loved pregnancy. Every time he saw his wife's stomach move, his heart skipped a beat. He couldn't believe he was experiencing it for the first time. He missed it with Brayden but he was there every step of the way with this baby. He lifted Kayla's shirt and kissed her belly before he felt a kick. The baby loved Daddy and moved any time Preston said a word or kissed Kayla's tummy.

"We missed you," Kayla sighed as he met her eyes, standing straight again.

"I know, baby," he frowned, kissing her again. "I missed you too. And my baby boy."

"Mhm. Sleeping was rough but it was only three days. Bray was great company. How was New York?" She asked as they sat on the couch in the corner.

"Great! My mom of course loved it. She had a blast," he smiled, sliding his fingers through hers.

"I think it's very sweet you guys did a trip with just the two of you. You've always been close so I think it was great to have that time alone," she nodded.

"We has a blast, K. She's the most amazing person I know. That time alone with her to talk about our lives now was something I'll never forget. She's my best friend," he sighed.

"I know. I'm very happy you got that time. So where are you going next year?"

"Hmm... I want to go to D.C. She loves site seeing so that'd be a perfect place. But if you're pregnant again, I'll try to go earlier before the swelling."

"Mhm, you're not getting me pregnant for awhile," she giggled as he shook his head.

"I guarantee we'll have another before Bray turns three—"