Chapter Five: Mark My Words

Mark My Words

The bells rang, signaling we had five minutes to get to class, and I turned to Preston who was sleeping at Erica's desk in our office. I giggled and shook my head, nudging him as he groaned. He had been asleep for almost two hours because he couldn't the night before due to the construction at my house. He looked adorable with his lips pouted and his arms crossed as he slept deeply.

He'd asked me before we left his house if he could take a nap there, and I agreed, not realizing that we would somehow have to figure out how to get to class.

"Preston, wake up," I whispered as he groaned lowly, slowly sitting up.

"What?" He frowned at me as I smiled.

"One, you snore like a baby, and two, we have to go to class. If we just dart into the hallway, no one will see us, but we have to hurry up," I explained as I stood, collecting my things and he grabbed his backpack. As I prepared to open the door, he grabbed my arm and made me pause.

"Wait," he said, kissing my cheek softly. "If I don't get to talk to you later, have a good day."

"Thanks. Have a good day, too," I blushed deeply as I opened the door, shoving him into the crowd that was waiting as he immediately engaged in conversation to cover up where he'd emerged from, and I followed a few seconds later, luckily seeing Erica a couple feet away.

"So, how was your night Saturday?" She asked as we headed to the office for announcements.

"It was great. We talked a lot about what we want to do, and we had a lot of fun. I like being able to be myself around him," I nodded with a sigh as I looked over to her. "How was yours?"

"It was good. David and I went out for go karting, and we had a lot of fun. He's considering going to college early for this football thing, so we've been talking about that," she shrugged.

"As long as you and I are together in college, that's all that matters."

"Yep. You ready?" She smiled at me as I got my papers together and nodded.

Once our announcements were over, Erica peeled off to her first class, and I headed to mine. As I walked in, my eyes accidentally locked with Preston's. I quickly adverted as I took my seat just in front of him and took a breath. We can do this I thought to myself. I paid attention for most of the class, until Preston whispered to me when the teacher instructed us to pick partners for the first assignment of the year.

"We can get this done in one day," he murmured as I nodded, looking around. No one else was in the class that we were friends with, so we partnered quickly.

"Ms. Davenport, are you sure about your choice?" Professor Tomlinson questioned with a wince. Preston's eyes immediately snapped to him and he opened his mouth to retaliate, but I looked at him pointedly, silencing him before turning back to the professor.

"Yes, I am. We'll finish it quickly, it's no problem," I nodded as he smiled softly.

"Preston, you've gotten lucky," he frowned as he handed us the paper and kept walking.

"Who the fuck does he think he is?!" Preston growled lowly in his direction as I reached for his hand under the desk, causing him to look at me with wide eyes.

"Pres, you've gotta admit that your school record isn't the greatest," I murmured as he huffed.

"I know that, but my GPA is still a 3.8. He needs to show some damn respect—"

"Do you want to watch a movie? I mean, when we get back to your house and settle in, we can hang out and watch a movie?" I asked as I let go of his hand, distracting him as I slowly pulled it back.