Chapter Twenty-One: Surprise! A Baby and Lies

Surprise! A Baby and Lies

Kayla sighed heavily as she looked around the venue. It was gorgeous and she was completely happy with how everything turned out... except one particular thing: her marriage. When they first wed, Kayla and Preston were a power couple like never before. They communicated, they expressed their feelings frequently, and they went out on dates. Following the confirmation of pregnancy, they got even closer. It was euphoric to even be around each other, and their bond had grown like never before. However, a month after their doctor's appointment, Preston got a call. When he answered the phone, he was irritated, but he had an obligation to someone that he had to fulfill.

It was Brayden's mother.

After six months in the specialized rehab program, the patients were allowed to ask a family member or someone close to come and talk about their past and attend therapy sessions together. The program directors suggested that the patients selected the one person on earth who had hurt them most. And of course, Alex chose Preston. She had every right to, considering the things he'd done to and with her, and he couldn't possibly say no. This woman had given him a child, and though she abandoned them, he owed her everything. Besides, both Kayla and Preston wanted Brayden to know his mother and understand what they'd been through. They promised to make it work with her as long as she completed the program and she accepted the challenge. They sent her pictures of Brayden often and showed Brayden pictures of her so he could formulate an idea about who she was. It was something they were committed to. Both of them.

Preston was was invited to stay for a total of twenty-one days with Alex and he accepted. He understood that meant missing things with his wife and child, but he truly felt like it was the best thing for him to do. And so did Kayla. Until she got the first call. As she stood inside of the venue where she would host her Baby 'Nouncement, she remembered everything he'd said two weeks ago when they last spoke on the phone.

"Hello?" Kayla answered, not recognizing the number from across the country.

"Baby," Preston groaned.

"Oh my goodness, it's so good to hear from you," she gushed. It had been a week and Preston only got three calls for his entire stay to help with the healing process. He'd decided he would call once every week that he was there.

"You too. How are you? How are my babies?"

"Brayden is amazing. He's with your sister right now. And the small baby in my belly is great too. I'm good. I just miss you so damn much," she huffed. "How are you?"

"Uhm..." Preston trailed.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just... Being here makes you think, you know?"

"I could assume. It's a deep place for healing, that's why we chose it remember?"

"Yeah, but... I-I don't know. I'm thinking about things I shouldn't be," he sighed heavily.

"About what? You're scaring me babe," Kayla frowned deeply, her heart sinking.

"I-I just keep thinking about those years, you know? We didn't see each other for eight long years. I became a completely different person after you left, Kay. I just... My life fell apart and I didn't care about anything. And then I met this girl and got her pregnant, and she had the baby, and left me. I keep thinking about my dad, about how he left me too when I was younger but came back like you did. And I... Is there something wrong with me? Is there something so repulsive that I cannot hold relationships —"