"Proper suitor, as in a long-term mistress or are you considering the possibility of taking her as one of your wives?"

He chuckled. "That would be a wife, I could not take more than one, my queen. No offense intended of course. I simply do not believe I'd survive multiple wives. I'm sure they'd all conspire to my undoing." He grinned at her and Ismay couldn't help the amused chuckle of her own. "But to answer your question, it would be with the consideration of marriage. I know it would be unorthodox, but the princess seems to rather unorthodox already. I did not come to ask for permission, only if you think she would consider it. "

"I will let you in on a secret," Ismay told him. "My sister would very much consider it, only if you were to approach her as a man of Darug and not a man of the four kingdoms. Apparently, she has had enough of the men there."

Again, Godfrey grinned. "I can do that."

"Good," Ismay said, standing yet again. "But fair warning, Lord Godfrey. If you wrong my sister, you will regret it. I will personally see to it."

"I would expect nothing less, my queen."

She nodded. "Then we will meet in a week's time. Good day, Lord Godfrey."

"Good day, Queen Ismay."

Ismay left the study and into the sunroom on the east wing where she agreed to meet with Gabriel. He stood as she entered the room. "I was starting to believe you wouldn't come," he said, sitting back down in his chair.

"I apologize, my meeting with Godfrey ran a little longer than I expected. He wished to ask me on a personal matter," she replied.

"A personal matter? What personal matter?"

Ismay picked up the goblet already filled and gave him a curious glance. "Do you doubt his honor or mine, King Gabriel?"

His expression turned to one of chagrin. "Neither. I apologize. I did not mean to sound suspicious, merely curious."

"Fine, but you will not breath a word to anyone, understood. I will not be spreading rumors like some silly gossip. Godfrey wishes to court my sister, as in a proper courtship."

Gabriel's eyes widened. "Really? I would think she would be the last woman he'd court."

She frowned at him. "What do you mean?"

"Your sister is terrifying, Ismay. She is not so fierce and sharp as you, but she is much more violent and dangerous. She injured one of my guards, putting him out of duty for a week, using only a hairpin! She then turned it on Hugh, and if it wasn't for my intervention, I'm not quite sure he had survived the encounter. Now Godfrey decides he wishes to court her...brave man or a fool, I have not yet decided."

A laugh escaped her. "I would say he's the wisest of all you men," she said smugly. "And if you believe I'm fierce and sharp, then what would you call yourself?"

"A very brave fool," he said, smiling. "Ask me a question, Ismay."

Her heart stumbled, her hand resting on her upper chest. "The only questions I have pertain to who is responsible for such much suffering in Darug, but I do not think you're ready to go beyond what you've told me and I suspect there is more."

Gabriel nodded. "You're right there is some more, but at the moment I do not believe it is the proper time to discuss it. Would it be possible for you to consider allowing another kiss without any questions."

With slow, calculated movements, intended to give her time to think, Ismay picked up the goblet, taking a slow sip. The request didn't surprise her. In fact, she'd expected Gabriel to ask her eventually. Part of her was surprised he hadn't asked her sooner. Now, what should her answer be? Ismay set the cup down with the same slow, calculated movements. All that she knew demanded she refused...yet she hesitated in doing so.