8

Ismay hurried through the castle, not caring if she was going the wrong way or not. She had to put as much distance between herself and Gabriel. She finally stopped her hurried rush and dropped herself onto a bench along the wall. Her heart was racing and her hand still felt funny. Ismay rubbed it on her skirt, trying to remove whatever Gabriel had done to it. What had she been thinking? Charm the king? Ismay laughed out loud at her own foolishness.

She looked down at herself and sighed. She was such a fool. Gabriel saw right through her. He mocked her for it, not that she could fault him for it. All that was a mockery. Ismay blew out a breath and stood up. She would not try anything of the such again. Fascination or not, pretending to be like Penelope or Regina wouldn't get Gabriel to listen to her. Ismay would have to find another way.

However, first, she would need to find her way back to her room. Ismay wasn't sure what part of the castle she was in. Not deterred, she began walking in the direction, she was sure she'd come from. She hadn't been walking long when she saw Lady Clarissa. She took a step back to go another way, but Clarissa already saw her.

"My queen, what a surprise. Are you lost?" She asked, walking up to Ismay with a self-satisfied smile. "Would you like me to help you find your way?"

Ismay would've rather endured another mockery from the king. "Thank you, that's very kind of you, but I'm sure I can find my way."

"Now don't be silly," Clarissa said, wrapping her slender arms around Ismay's like a snake's deadly coil. "You're our queen. We're here to serve you." Her expression became strained as her voice as if it physically difficult for her to say the words.

"Fine, if you insist," Ismay replied with her own strained grin.

As they walked, Ismay noticed she wasn't taking a direct path to her room, but Clarissa would turn down a hallway walk in a direction for a moment before going back to where they came. Clearly, this woman disdained Ismay, but she couldn't even fathom why.

"How are you finding Darug and its king?" Clarissa asked in a sweet tone that turned bitter at the mention of the king.

"Darug is as beautiful as it is mysterious," Ismay admitted honestly. "Much like its king I would say, but both have welcomed me wonderfully."

Clarissa's grip on her arm tightened. "Darug is a great kingdom and its king even greater."

Ismay glanced over at her, disbelieving. This was the issue of her disdain — a fancy for the king? She suppressed a sigh. How did these people do anything with their emotions blinding their judgment?

"Only one thing concerns me about Darug," Clarissa stated then stopped, facing Ismay. "Is if its queen is worthy of such a title."

Ismay bristled in anger at the insinuation. "The king believes my skills are adequate. May I offer you some advice, Lady Clarissa."

Clarissa's eyes narrowed as she nodded. "Of course."

"One should never let their emotions dominate them and their actions. It's rather unbecoming," Ismay told her then paused as an idea came to her. It wasn't ideal, but perhaps it could work in her favor. "Now it's obvious you have an infatuation with the king, and I assume you wish to marry him, correct?"

Clarissa's jaw dropped as she looked at Ismay with surprise. "Well, who wouldn't want to marry the king? He's a good man, handsome and very skilled, though I heard you wouldn't know anything about that."

"You are beautiful and well-shaped, that is plain to see," Ismay said, freeing her arm and walked around Clarissa. "How's your family's fertility? Have the children been healthy and strong?"