Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Tt. Perhaps you wouldn't mind explaining why we accepted this bait?"

"Curiosity.", was all Batman said, stepping over one of the unconscious people.

Unsatisfied by the answer, yet not wishing to enter a dispute -which was not at all a regular reaction of his- Robin followed, a hand at his katana. Sliding the blade out of its sheath by an inch, Damian ran his finger down the side of the sword, mildly comforted by the pain- an odd habit.

Feet clacking against the floor of the cargo ship, Batman and Robin wove their way out of the numerous crates, anticipating the inevitable encounter with whomever set up this 'meeting'. Whomever they were, they knew how to get Batman's attention. Was that a good thing or not, who knew?

Now faced with the view of midnight waves lapping against the sides of the other boats in the docks, cradling each in a watery embrace, Damian exhaled. Taking in a breath of air, he amused himself by noting the differences between the atmosphere surrounding Wayne Manor and the atmosphere surrounding the docks: an alteration in the weight, freshness and-

The tell tale shifting of feet leaving the floor alerted the two vigilantes to the baiter's presence before he or she could introduce themselves. More to Batman and Robin's perplexity, a vortex of purple magic opened besides them. Out of it stormed none other than Raven Roth, who appeared as though she'd love nothing more than to rip out the newcomer's throat.

"You have our attention.", Batman growled, not in the least disgruntled by Raven's appearance.

Lamps giving light behind the stranger- whom the empathy affirmed as male- his identity remained secret...until he stepped in to the light.

As though Zeus himself felt the implications of this person revealing himself, a single flash of raw energy struck the Earth, summoning Poseidon's wrath. Lightning meeting the Earth yet again, waves began swaying the ship heavier beneath their feet.

Demonic eyes reflecting the lightning bolts in their emerald irises, Damian's lips parted.

"Emrys?"

***

Damian's P.O.V:

How could this be? After so many years...he was said to be dead after...

"Damian!- I mean...my lord.", he scrambled together a bow, but the somber mood was already cracked by his unsurely behaviour.

"Drop the formalities Emrys,", I ordered, eyes taking in every inch of his face, confirming my suspicions that it was indeed him.

From my left, father demanded, "Robin, you know him."

Both salt and rainwater speckling my cheeks from the drizzle and ocean spray, I nodded, "Yes. Yes I do."

Before he could speak, I added, "But anything else must wait.", turning to Emrys- Gods...Emrys... it's odd to even think his name- I put a lid on all the emotions willing to bubble over, asking, "You are willing to go with us, yes?"

He dipped his head, only for Raven to protest.

"Go with us? Who exactly are you?", she moved forwards, expression ruthlessly scathing, rubies glinting where amethysts usually lay in her eyes.

Halting what would become a deadly dispute, I held Raven's forearm, staring in to her eyes, watching as they reverted to orbs of purple.

"Trust me on this.", I insisted, releasing her arm.

"Can we trust him?", father folded his arms, waterproof Batsuit protecting him from the water.

"I never said I trusted-"

Raven cut me off halfway through that thought, "I'll be the judge of that.", she strode forwards to Emrys, holding out her palm. "Your hand, if you please."

There was no room for argument in her tone.

Their hands clasped, Raven shut her eyes, shoulders rising and falling as she breathed in the salty air. Exhaling, her eyes flew open, no longer amethyst, nor carmine, but a jarring shade darker than the sky above us. Pure, undiluted black.

Emrys winced, but that was the only sign of discomfort that he showed at Raven's delving through his mind.

Thirty-two seconds later, she dropped his hand, demeanour switching in an instant. Her stance loosened and expression softened by miles, turning from threatening to merely empathetic (which was rather fitting all things considered).

To father, she said, "I've seen in to his heart and mind. We can trust him."

***later***

He appeared...unchanged. Only half a decade older than our last time of meeting.

Surveying Emrys in full clarity under the white glow of the Batcave's lights, he seemed exhausted. Beneath dark brown eyes rested evidence of sleepless nights and the way he clearly fought the urge to slump hinted likewise.

Other than his hair- dark as his eyes- being grown out in cornrows as opposed to shaved close to his head, there were no significant alterations in his appearance. Emrys was still Emrys, only twenty seven rather than twenty two.

It was all to much to comprehend.

Emrys was pronounced dead when the League of Assassins fell.

A.N:

Hello my darlings!
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and no...I'm not saying anything else about this newcomer until next chapter ;)
So enjoy the cliffhanger!

Thank you

-Bats:3