Chapter Thirty-Five

Start from the beginning

Changing the subject, Damian said, "Well, father certainly has had an abnormal experience with childbearing,", he smirked bitterly, "he didn't know about either of his blood children's births until unfitting circumstances became them. Both Belladonna and I. It's rather ironic, is it not?"

Sending the wounds beneath the cloak of Damian's mental walls, Raven reaffirmed a hold on his hand to hearten him, "It's true, your father hasn't been given the greatest of circumstances around his children, but anyone can see that he's trying. And so far, he's doing a good job by Bella. She's really settling in, with all the time your father is giving her."

Damian smiled at the memory of the five-year old and Bruce playing with Lego. Their relationship would no doubt grow closer with time- closer than Damian and his father, upsetting as that notion was.

"She is. Remarkably so.", Damian ran a free hand through his hair before choking the digital clock on the beside table, "Shit!", his eyes widened.

"What is it?", Raven demanded, alarmed.

"I'm on duty with father in five minutes- he told me to meet him by Gotham City Harbour!", on his feet, Damian ran to his wardrobe, pulling out the Robin suit from a hidden compartment.

An idea sparking in her head, Raven stood up and, in a flash of purple, was in her hero uniform, "Damian, I'll open a portal to the harbour-"

"But-"

"I'm going there anyway- to look in to one of our leads on the Night Children case- it's no issue. Look, how about I drop you off a short distance away, is that alright?"

Uniform in his hands, Damian nodded, entering the bathroom to get changed.

Less than a minute later, Robin stepped out.

"How in Azar's name did you change so fast?"

He winked, "A magical never reveals his secrets."

***

"Robin, take the back group.", Batman ordered, behind one of many crates.

Nodding, the Boy Wonder melded in to the shadows around him, luminescent green eyes the only part of him visible before they too faded to black.

"So, who's the guy we're here for then, eh?", one of the younger men of the pack asked, warning him a slap upside the head from an older man.

"You're new.", he snorted, whipping off the cap he was wearing and tucking it in to a pocket in his jumpsuit. "First lesson boy: shut up and don't ask questions ."

Typical expendables. Damian sneered, sheathing his sword and replacing it with a metal cylinder no larger than the palm of his hand. Crouched between two crates, Damian waited for three seconds...two seconds...one...

A light flared opposite him where Batman hid. The signal.

After pressing the button at the capsule's end until he heard it click, Robin rolled it across the floor toward the men at the back. Assured that Batman had done the same, Damian sprang forwards.

Vision obscured by the smoke issuing out of the capsules, the hired hands were rendered blind (becoming all too easy targets for Batman and Robin). Sixteen hits later, the smoke dissipated, revealing two vigilantes standing in the middle of sixteen unconscious bodies.

Crack.
Crack.
Crack. Crack.

"Robin. Cut that out.", Batman ordered.

Damian stopped clicking his knuckles, squatting to gain a closer look at one of the men's faces, reaching out to turn it from side to side: out of sheer boredom as opposed to genuine interest. Sufficiently entertained, he dropped the man's face, standing up.