•Day 34• Daisy

Start from the beginning

We walked all the way down the sidewalk, when my legs suddenly failed me. Just when I was about to fall, the queen of clichés took its toll. Will caught me, and we ended up in this sort of swoon-worthy dip position. I couldn't help but internally hyperventilate because wow his arms are strong.

"When's the wedding?" Someone called out, and I knew I'd turned scarlet. Will, however, just smirked at my flustered expression.

"Tuesday night. We hope you can make it!" Will called back, and that's when I caught his face. It was none other than Draven Hall, the lead in pretty much every play our school had put up.

With his striking grey eyes and dark brown hair, he was a mystery every girl wanted to solve. But unlike Matt or even Ted, who adored being fawned over, Draven cut himself out of the world. He escaped into his roles. He played the parts.
Off-stage, he refused to be discovered.

"You're cute when you blush,"Will teased. I'm pretty sure that made me blush harder.
"When am I not cute?" I teased back, and he bent down to kiss my nose.

Most people complained about being short, but I loved it. It meant that I always got to stand in front during pep rallies and whenever I hugged Will, I could hear his heartbeat.

"You guys are the best!" Ted gushed, when he saw us coming through the door. Ted's partner's mother was still in the hospital, so he needed help again.
It wasn't Ted's fault, of course, and he had the choice to leave early, but he loved the bookstore so much that he was happy to work extra hours.

Will and I knew that how much ever he said that he was fine managing on his own, it wasn't the right thing to leave him alone right after he'd broken up with Ava. The break-up had left both of them equally messed up.

"How are you?" I asked Ted, just out of sympathy. I was on Ava's side, obviously, but I still cared about my friend.
"I'll be okay,"he answered, faking a smile. 
"How is she?" He asked, suddenly concerned.
Oh boy, he was worse than I thought.

Will noticed it too, and spoke up for me. "That shouldn't matter to you."
Ted sighed, clearly pained by this conversation.
I stepped in to his defense. "It's alright, man. You take your time. We're here for you, okay?" I said softly, then left the room in order to give them some privacy.

There was an odd sort of tension in the room, and that concerned me. Had something happened between Ted and Will?
Obviously they'd talked it out and weren't on bad terms anymore, but it looked like they'd still not moved past it.
I wondered what it could be. It especially bothered me that Will hadn't talked to me about it. Didn't he trust me enough?

Suddenly, I noticed a book that seemed all too familiar to me. I felt like I'd bought it a few weeks ago, but that was odd considering that I hated reading. Books were boring. I preferred movies any day.

"Holding Up the Universe," read the title.
And that's all I could remember, before-

"Guys! Have you read this book? It's like the most beautiful thing ever!" I gushed, running back to Ted and Will. The two shared puzzled glances, but I continued on with my rant, unbothered.

Ted cut me off with,"Is there a movie?"

I threw him a disgusted glare. "Is there a brain in there?" I asked, pointing to his head.

Will looked at me like he couldn't recognize who I was. What was with him all of a sudden? How could he not recognize his one true love?

"Are you going to buy that?" Ted asked uncertainly. I looked at him like he'd officially lost it. "I bought it last week, idiot."
And that's when a flicker of suspicion passed over Will's face.

"Can I borrow it?" He asked.
I gave him a long look, then decided I could trust him. "No bending the spine, no food in the creases, no bending the pages, no highlighting words, no bending the spine, no letting others touch it, no dropping it, no bending the spine, AND JACK MASSELIN IS MINE."

The suspicion was growing. He was on to me.

"What's your favorite book?" He asked. I smiled, trying not to let my nervousness show. How could I not remember this?

"You mean my top ten?" I asked.

"No. Which book?" He asked again, as if he knew excatly what was going on. But he couldn't possibly, right?

"Which series?" I asked, giving it one last shot. Elody's favorite series was Harry Potter. She couldn't pick between the books. Maybe this was just a trick question Will was throwing at me.

"No. One favorite book,"he said, walking closer towards me.

"This one,"I said confidently, showing him 'Holding Up the Universe.'
"That's why I'm extra overprotective of it, so make sure you're careful,"I added weakly.
Even a good actress could be swayed over by facts.

Will's eyes clouded over. "You're not my Holly."

Maybe it was the way he said it, but at that very second, all I wanted to do was make him believe that I was. 

A/N If she's not Holly, then she's none other than.....