C H

He dove in for the last time, and if that didn't work, he'd stop

He dove in for the last time, and if that didn't work, he'd stop. He thought gravely before putting Riley on the ground again.

Riley gasped out against his mouth, as a blinding rush of relief shot Charlie that he felt like he'd faint. He immediately pumped her chest as water gurgled up from Riley's mouth as she feebly fidgeted. She choked and coughed the water out with difficulty, but she was still far from alive.

Charlie carried her head back to his wet lap again, moving the damp dark her of Riley away from her wet face as she breathed feebly and shallowly through her mouth and closed eyes.

Charlie so much wanted to see her green eyes, that might've calmed him of his shock.

He took out his phone and called Lexi to lead the ambulance in their direction.

"You're okay, everything is going to be
okay... " He whispered, pressing his forehead against hers, hot tears streamed freely, dropping on Riley's cheek.

He held her there in his arms, hugging her half-alive body with all he had. He reached for his silky blue robe that lay in the dust and wrapped her around in it, trying to warm her up.

He kissed her on every inch of her face tenderly, so relieved beyond explanation.

Soon, the blue red lights blared off, along came the siren of the ambulance, the seemed to cut through the silent air. Lexi and Simon ran out of Charlie's car which she had driven. She was crying and spotted Charlie and her friend right away.

Everything went by blur after that, carrying Riley to the ambulance, sitting in it with their frantic beating hearts, carrying Riley on the stretcher to the emergency room. And all the way, Riley's cold rigid hand was in Charlie's scorching warm one...

And as he grudgingly left Riley in the emergency room, he couldn't help but peek in with worry, running his hand through his damp hair.

And he really hoped everything would truly be okay for her...

He was soon joined by a very crying Mrs Myers, Mr Myers, Melissa, the Stewarts, Lexi and Simon.

Everybody reached for Lexi and each other. But nobody noticed the damp clothed boy with dripping wet hair, standing in front of the emergency room with worry written all over his face, the boy who had saved the girl...

He felt unwelcomed, and reckoned there was indeed, no business for him to be there.

He stole a last peek at a closed eyed Riley, with blue clothed doctors surrounding her, before he backed away, step by step.

He left, with a peaceful heart and solemn mind, wishing nothing but good for Riley.

"She is dehydrated, starved, has severe fever, has got a strain in her shoulder, has injured elbow, has bruised fingers, has severe anaemia, has severe insomnia and she smokes." The doctor robotically said without a pause, before giving an exasperated tired sigh and looked at all the worried family, in their faces with a hard stare.