No excuses (Derek)

"Hey Der." I heard Ryder enter the loft. "Hi."

     She came over, and kissed my cheek as I continued to pace around the couch. "You okay?"

    "Fine." I responded dryly.

    She cocked her head to the side. "What's wrong?"

     "I said I was fine." I snapped back.

    She rolled her eyes, and sat on the couch. "Fine."

     The room was silent, only the sounds of my feet hitting the floor as I paced and her fingers tapping against her phone screen.

      I sat next to her, and she rolled her eyes as I put my arm around her. "What do you want for dinner babe?"

     She shrugged and pushed her blonde hair out of her face. She continued to text whoever she was talking to, and refused to look up at me.

     "Are you upset?" I moved closer to her as she slid away from me.

     She scoffed. "No Derek I love being ignored."

      I chewed the inside of my cheek. "I'm sorry."

     She rolled her eyes. "Don't apologize Derek you do this every time."

     "What?"

    "Whenever you get mad about something, or are trying to figure out something that has nothing whatsoever to do with you, you ignore me and then snap at me when I ask what's wrong. So don't apologize. I'm used to it."

     She stood up and walked away. "Ry."

     "No leave me alone." I heard the bedroom door slam, and I ran my hand through my hair. I sat for a second, letting her cool down before I walked into the room.

    She was seated on the bed, her blonde hair covering one of her eyes as she looked down at her hands. I took a seat next to her, and her eyes met mine.

      "I'm sorry."

     "What's going on with you Derek?" She asked. "You used to be so happy and fun and now you're just stressed all the time."

     "You think I want to be stressed?" I said a little more harshly than I should've.

    "That's not what I meant." She responded in the same tone.

     I sighed. "There's just a lot going on."

     "We all have a lot going on Der." She crossed her arms. "That doesn't give you an excuse to be an asshole."

     "It doesn't." I put my hands on her arm. "Which is why I'm apologizing."

     She looked at me, her arms still crossed and her jaw still clenched. "Ignore me again and you're going to regret it."

    "I don't doubt that."