Chapter Thirty Six

Start from the beginning

Alfie paid a surprise visit just as I was dishing up dinner. He came in to see me, ruffling my hair and giving me a hug. I guessed I hadn't needed to set the table after all as the gathering communed, dinners in hand, in the living room.

I savoured the chance of another undisturbed hour. Maybe I would do some reading or be superbly adventurous and draw.

This dream, however, was a short lived. Beth, unable to contain herself, had decided to invade and play dress up.

She'd clothed herself in a layered black skirt and tight black top, too few layers to be appropriate Scottish attire. I envied her beauty and height - she did not know the distress of a person at 5ft 6".

Beth flounced over to my wardrobe and pulled out everything.

"You'd better be the one tidying that all up again," I muttered, folding my arms and watching her realise, evident in the frustration on her face, that I only had one skirt which was at least two sizes too small, no dresses and a handful of tops and trousers.

"Your mother obviously doesn't clothes shop for you, she has far more fashion sense," Beth mumbled, throwing a pair of jeans at the closed door. I shrugged off her comment knowing it was true. "I guess this could work." She picked up a simple black shirt, belt and a pair of my school trousers. She thrust them at me and turned around so I could get changed. Cooperatively, I pulled them on and fastened the red belt around my waist.

"Alright it's safe to look," I snorted, throwing my arms out in an over enthusiastic 'tah-dah' motion. She put her finger thoughtfully to her lips.

"Mmm...I think I like it," she said, nodding her head. "Let's get you some make up." Beth knew full well that I had no stock of respectable makeup, just the basics. Undeterred, she plonked me down onto my bed and started working her magic.

"So you and Kieran huh? How long did it take you to realise you were perfect for each other?" Beth murmured whilst concentrating on getting my eye shadow right.

"We're just friends." I was not willing to provoke Beth with false information. There was nothing to tell of a romance. We were just Chris and Kieran - nothing more and nothing less.

"That is so boring, you know that?" she responded, irritated. I tried not to laugh. "Don't move you'll make me smudge," she fussed, yanking my head back into place."For goodness sake woman." She moved onto my lips.

"Do we not have to get going?" I mumbled through parted lips. The newly applied lip-gloss welded my mouth. How was this attractive? Beth dug her phone out of her back pocket and stared at the screen.

"I forgot we were leaving at quarter to eight and not quarter passed," she groaned slipping her phone back in her pocket. Hastily, she smoothed another layer of gloss on my lips and then did the same to herself. "Don't even think about licking your lips until you get your drink," she ordered, pointing her manicured finger threateningly in my face. I nodded, almost biting my forbidden lips. "Now get your little black jacket on and get your butt out of that door."

Though Beth's foot was at my backside, I grabbed my phone and slipped on my charm bracelet. Beth acted like she hadn't noticed the joy the bracelet brought me to wear it.

"Bye guys," I yelled while being marched down the hall and shoved out of the door. "I'll be back for ten...ish." There came no reply other than the chortles of tispy men. I was glad to be going out.

"Are we not a little over dressed?" I muttered as we made our way to the stop, inspecting our slap and wear.

"No we're just the right amount of dressed actually," Beth replied. Let's just see who would be laughing when she was freezing her butt off later.

No sooner had I thought it, Beth seemed to reconsider what she was wearing. The bus driver had politely complimented her but then that might have been why she looked suddenly very self-conscious.

"You look beautiful," I whispered. It was true. She turned to me, a small appreciative smile on her face.

"You really think so? Do you think Nate will like it?" she asked, fiddling with her hands and shuffling her shoes.

"How could he not?" Beth nodded now playing with her skirt. She just couldn't keep still. Talk about ants in the pants.

Being the spring into summer months it was still light outside. The sky was awash with different shades of pinks, oranges and yellows. The city was a silhouette, its spires and high rise buildings black giants reaching to meet the heavens. The castle sat upon its thrown, reigning over the twilight.

We arrived at the only bus stop on the street and hopped off. The street itself was remarkably quiet for just being off of Princes Street. I looked around to see if there was in fact anyone but us. There wasn't.

"Do you think they're already in there?" I muttered, watching the bus roll steadily out of sight. Beth shrugged, her brow furrowed in confusion.

"It wasn't like this last week," she murmured, creeping down the stone stairs to have a look in the coffee shop window. The planet in the astronomy shop window glowed red above.

I followed Beth down the stairs and cupped my hands around my eyes to look in the window. It was empty.

"Where do you think everyone one is?" It was slightly unusual for an entire café to be closed with no explanation as to why. Wasn't it? Perhaps they'd had a notice up since the last time Beth had been. I squinted into the darkness again but saw nothing.

"What do you thinks happened?" I waited. "Beth?" She didn't answer. I turned to question her but she'd gone. "Beth? Beth? This isn't funny!" My palms had begun to sweat. She couldn't have just disappeared. I scrambled back up the steps but she wasn't there. "Beth, stop being so bloody stupid!"

The summer's night felt uncannily warm all of a sudden and the shadows seemed more threatening. I hurried down the stairs again, banging on the doors for a sign of life. "Hello! Please, is there anyone here?" I glanced over my shoulder, still calling Beth's name and hoping for this to be a practical joke. Again I glared into the empty shop frustrated, terrified.

Then the weapon came down on my head and I registered the pain but I couldn't cry out. I didn't know how. I lifted my hand to my head woozily, feeling it becoming damp. Bright lights danced in front of my eyes.

"Beeeeth?" My legs collapsed underneath me.

Before I blacked out I felt strong arms catch me as I fell. A stranger carried me back onto the deserted street and I was sure I'd finally meeting again with death.

I shall say no more and let you read onwards...

Comment. Converse. Vote.

Read. Imagine. Inspire.

Bekah x