Chapter Fifteen

Away from the dramas of Indigo, I was reminded our exams were on the horizon. It made me recall that, for all that I thought and yearned to know of Indigo and my passed, I was very much in the present.

It was good to know that Friday in English we'd already completed the folio work required; now it was simply a case of sitting the final exams. I needed to think about my future.

Miss Johnson had given us a period to revise and practise the techniques for the exam. It was disconcerting that despite the fact I would fail my exam without practice, my mind was somewhere else.

I spent the lesson doodling on my page. My doodles were dominated mostly by two , dark indigo eyes. They stood pronounced on the page as piercing as the real things.

Kieran had only been gone for a few days but I was always aware of his absence. Even when hanging around Beth and Tom my mind journeyed off to the land of Kieran's hoplessness. How lonely it must have been. Though he was surrounded by servants, did they know his anguish?

I had been looking feebly out of the window and had turned back to the two indigo eyes. They looked darker than they had only minutes ago. I squinted at them. One winked, creasing in obvious delight. I brushed by fingers across the devious eyes. If only my head wasn't playing silly mind games. I glanced around in the hope someone else had perhaps seen but no one was looking.

A sudden throb of pain slashed at my head. I flinched, my brow creasing. My sweaty palm slipped from my forehead and I tried cradling it again, hoping to rock my pain into submission. The indigo eyes blinked up at me with a condescending glare.

The ink then seemed to swirl on the paper, crawling in demonic patterns up my arms, neck, face and then across my eyes.

That's when it happened. A nausea rushed through me. My eyes became blurred with billowing lines. I felt my hands ripping at eyes, trying to tear the darkness. My chest constricted, muscles became lax and I suddenly weightless in the darkness.

But then everything became flawlessly clear again, even if gravity did not return. A world appeared before me but it became apparent that even though I could see it, it wasn't through my own eyes.

The sky was a mournful grey. Concrete buildings rose high above but there was something strange about them. Broken windows, holes in walls, rouged bricks. But that wasn't the worst of it.

It was the bodies, so many bodies. Blood spattered buildings loomed over the surrounding dead as if watching over them pityingly, the broken walls of a communal grave.  I was moving slowly, searching the dead as if looking for someone. I then heard it, like an echo in the lifeless, never ending space.

"So much destruction but where's the culprit?" Kieran's voice was low and rough. He was scanning the horrific scene, concern making chaos out of his mind. A sudden rumbling voice rang through Kieran taking me by surprise. I recognised the voice instantly.    

"Ah dinny ken pal. We might as well quit now. They're gonna be blown tae smithereens anyway," Mack said from Kieran's left. I felt Kieran tense.

"There's something not right! I feel it." His words rang through his head, deafening me. "I pledged an oath when I got this hellish job which was to save until you know, until you're sure there isn't anything to save. If you don't like it then go home Mack." This was the old Kieran, the Kieran of my nightmares walking in his unholy domain. I withdrew as far back into his mind as I could. I didn't know why I was there, how I was there but I just wanted leave. What I had seen couldn't be unseen.

A dainty hand rested on  Kieran's shoulder. I didn't feel so cowardly all of a sudden.

"We won't give up, we'll find him...the murderer, you'll see," Sophia whispered.