Chapter Twenty

• Dedicated to Ashley Palkowski

When I awoke that morning new, fierce bruises flourished around my arms and stomach and I knew I had to cover up Kieran's marks - not just for my sake but for his. His eyes would say a thousand sorrowful and apologetic words and I didn't want that. Yes, I was still upset with him but I wasn't heartless.

I sat at the breakfast table, ready to leave for my bus. No one was aware of my screams in the night. It was just as well.

The clock ticked. I scowled at it and urged time to move faster so I could escape. Jackson settled his eyes on me and then the clock knowingly. The long hand jolted into place and I was up and off, sparing few goodbyes as I went.

"Morning Beth, sleep well?" I greeted as I descended the stairs. Her expression darkened and she proceeded, ignoring my question.

"I sincerely hope that you've though long and hard about how you treated Kieran yesterday. Seeing Kieran alive gave you a shock after all the worrying - I get that - but the guy had almost been blown to pieces for pity's sake and you make him feel worse by shouting at him?" In an attempt to silence my friend I stared at the ground and shuffled my feet. "I just hope you've come to your senses and decided to apologise. Heaven knows Kieran is more than willing to forgive you for your childish behaviour than I am," she muttered, eyeing me crossly.

I hugged my fragile and battered self as we battled through the wind towards the vacant bus stop. Beth had given up when I had offered no apology.

She didn't speak to me on the bus and even when Jude and Mandy got on there was hardly any conversation, just foul sideways glances. Jude did manage to sly me a cheeky wink before we disembarked though. She was a defiant one.

Relief flooded me as I stepped down from the bus and spied someone who didn't have a vendetta against me. Tom was occupied with the task of dismounting from the back of a motorbike and was oblivious to my attentions. He removed his helmet and shook his hair from his face.

Having clipped his helmet onto the empty back seat, the bike sped off through the street in a red blur. Tom finally looked around, as if sensing my gaze. I waved nervously. He grinned and came to meet me, clad in his tattered leather jacket. I had to tip my head upwards to look into his face. Lightly, he stroked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. We were so close that the beginnings of a rain shower dripped from his sleek hair and onto my forehead, gathering at the tips of my eyelashes. I blinked the beads of water from my eyes, still watching him carefully. His touch sent warm currents down my spine.

"Good morning," he said.

"Good morning," I replied.

Halfway across the playground I spotted Kieran with Beth and the rest of my cohort and I greeted him with a half forgiving smile. He, however, glared spitefully at Tom. A small curl formed on Beth's lips and she spectated.

Sophia seemed openly pleased, it was the first time I'd ever seen her with even the shadow of a smile on her face. It looked all wrong on that sinster soul.

Shrugging off my suspicions, I peeked to see if Tom had acknowledged Kieran's cold, piercing glare. Apparently he had. But instead of returning Kieran's harsh looks he nodded civiliy in his direction. Kieran glowered harder.

"So he's still alive then," Tom observed. I bit my lip and gazed at the Indigo Boy. He had turned his shoulder on us but I caught a glimpse of those eyes I knew so well.

"In a manner of speaking," I whispered. We said nothing more on the subject.

Walking me to the door, Tom kissed the top of my head and held my attention until the registration bell commanded we seperate. Tom said goodbye and then disappeared, leaving me to fend off three intrigued pursuers.