Chapter Nineteen

Unsurprisingly, during fifth period history, Kieran made several attempts to grab my attention. I decided to ignore him. Forgiveness was earned Indigo Boy.

However, it was difficult to concentrate with Kieran clowning around on the other side of the classroom.

As well as full on eye contact and occasional noises such as coughs, chair squeaks and stretches he sent an assortment of notes across the room. My fellow classmates were loyal to his cause and didn't try to intercept any of his messages. Mr Gregory even seemed to turn a blind eye which was a horrifying first.

Filthy traitors.

In the first note Kieran wrote:

I'm truly sorry, forgive me?

Then there came the delightful:

You can't stay mad at me forever. Unlike me, you won't live that long.

Then there came:

Not even a laugh Evans? Fine, be like that! I have other ways of getting you to listen to me.

Every note he sent I scrunched up. A couple of people shot me disapproving looks. I didn't care for their regard, not when it came to my relationship with Indigo Boy.

Finally, after having enough of him, I sent a small note of my own. Something I felt said it all.

It read:

Piss off.

On its way to Kieran nobody dared to look at what I'd written and following my note Kieran left me to get on with my studying.

Finally, justice prevailed.

When the bell rang I groaned knowing Kieran would catch me in the hallway. Anything but optimistically, I packed my folder and pencil case into my bag.

Granting a small smile to Mr Gregory I shuffled from the classroom. Kieran waited patiently by the door, alone. Beth had strategically abandoned me and I would kill her for it.

"Chris I –" Kieran tried.

"Funny, but did I not tell you to leave me alone?" I grunted.

"Well they weren't exactly the words you wrote on the paper." He grimaced. I rolled my eyes. A painful chill swept through me. Kieran's unwavering glare was on me, willing me to forgive him. Unfortunately, the pain in his eyes was conducted through me in hurtful bolts of ice. 

"Please Kieran just leave me alone." I glanced pleadingly over my shoulder. I knew he didn't know the effect his eyes had on me but all the same it made me even more angry with him.

"I want us to sort this out, Chris!" he pleaded.

"Just this once Kieran, will you do as I ask." As I tried to rush ahead he placed a hand on my shoulder sending a fit of icy fury up and down my body. He saw me cringe from the pain of his touch and immediately removed his hand from my shoulder. Stunned, he allowed me to continue on my way without further debate.

As soon as I shut the flat door behind me that evening, I heaved a great sigh of relief. I'd finished with school for the day meaning no more lectures, nosy school peers and no more Kieran.

"Is that you Chris?" Mum called from the living room.

"Yup, it's me," I replied cheerfully so as to avoid questioning. Dropping my keys on the table, I hurried to my room.

"Did you have a good day at school today?"

"It was fine. I have loads of studying to do. See you for dinner." Shutting the door, I sank against it and sighed. At last, a moments peace.