Epilogue: Michael

(Michael's PoV)

"What are your intentions with Michael?" Jasmine asked Jeremy sternly as he held me. The black-haired woman had grown on me, and she had begun to treat me as if I were her own son. Well, I was technically her son-in-law, but she liked me. 

See the difference?

"I— What?" Confusion flitted over Jeremy's features. He looked up at the tall woman, bewildered.

"What do you want to do with this boy?" she repeated, crossing her arms.

Unfortunately for my boyf, protective Jasmine was very intimidating at times, and this was no exception.

"I—" He glanced at me. "I guess I just want to make him happy. I want to date him well into college, and make him the happiest man ever." He looked at me, hope and promise in his eyes.

I blushed shyly, looking away.

"Good. Don't leave him— just because I loved his mama doesn't mean I approve. Stay with the boy."

Why did she mention that? Now I—

"I will," Jeremy promised quickly, glancing down at me as he felt me vibrate in his grip.

Jasmine nodded, satisfied, and left.

Immediately Jeremy kneeled down next to me, wrapping his arms around me.

It took mere seconds for me to break.

"She's g-gone," I sobbed, burying my face in Jeremy's shoulder. "Sh-she's d-dead. She's never gonna—"

"I know, baby, I know," Jeremy whispered comfortingly, pulling me closer to him and holding me tighter.

My fingers trembled as they interlaced with my boyfriend's, and I started to cry harder. "I'm sorry," I wailed, my sounds muffled slightly by Jeremy's jacket. 

"Shh," Jeremy whispered, pressing a gentle, loving kiss to my forehead. "She loves you, remember that. No matter what. Okay? And I love you. I love you so much." He started to run his fingers through the white patch of hair on my head. The absentminded gesture had become a routine for him whenever he comforted me.

"Sh-she loves m-me," I whimpered, my entire body shaking from my uncontrollable sobs. "Sh-she l-loves m-me."

My mother had died from a blood clot in the hospital. I was there...

(Time jump to the past brought to you by: Me, still writing at 2am)

"Hey, baby," my mama whispered, squeezing my hand gently in her frail one and bringing it up to her chest. "How are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm good, Mama," I answered shakily, a bit surprised at my own answer. I didn't think I'd ever be happy since middle school ended. "Jeremy's my boyfriend now, and he's amazing and sweet and kind and... I think—no, I know— I love him. So much."

"Are you happy?" she rasped, a small smile forming on her face as she looked at me. My eyes met hers, and I knew what was coming.

I didn't want it to come.

Tears welling up in my eyes and running down my face, I nodded. "I'm happy."

"Does Jeremy make you happy?" she questioned softly, rubbing her thumb on the back of my hand.

"Yes, Mama." I sniffled, rubbing my face with my free hand. "He makes me happy."

"Mabuti," the older woman said, satisfied. "Just so you know, if he hurts you, beat his ass."

Caught off guard, I laughed in surprise and amusement at her crude language and hidden message. "Oh my god, Mama."

"You have to love yourself, Mikey. You have to accept yourself."

"I..." I thought for a moment. "I do, I think. I'm okay with having vitiligo, and I know it doesn't define me anymore."

"That's my boy," she said enthusiastically, causing me to smile again.

"I love you, Mama," I whispered. "Mahal na mahal kita."

"Mahal din kita," my mother replied tiredly. "I'm so sorry Mikey, I love you, but oras na para sa akin na pumunta," she whispered.

My head shot up. "Hindi, Mama, please, no!" I felt the tears come again.

Don't leave me.

"I have to, baby," she said, smiling sadly.

"Please! Mama!" I sobbed, letting go of my mother and curling in on myself.

"Michael," she said brokenly. "I'm sorry. Ngunit kailangan mong maging matapang."

"I'm not brave," I said, covering my face.

"Michael," she said sternly. "Be strong. You could be brave."

"I-I'm not."

"You must be, otherwise you'll never move on. I love you, but I must leave."

"Mama, please—"

"Do it."

"Okay." I nodded, sniffling and wiping my nose.

"My baby," she whispered. "You've come so far. I will watch you, and follow you in your heart. I love you and I'm so sorry for all that I put you through. But you steered through it, and you will be happy. One day."

"Mama, please—" I pleaded, grasping her hand. She gave it one last squeeze. "Paalam." 

She closed her eyes and her hand went limp.

"Mama, no!" I screamed. "Please!"

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

"Mama," I whispered, desperate. The tears would never stop. "Please, no."

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee—

(Time jump back to the present brought to you by: My cat, walking on top of me at 3am while I was editing)

"Jeremy—" I sobbed again.

"Shh, please," Jeremy said quietly. "I can't bear seeing you like this— I hate to see you so sad." He lifted my chin and kissed me softly. "I love you."

"Mahal din kita," I whispered in response.

"Hey," he said, "you should teach me some Filipino, then I can understand half the things you say."

I scoffed and pushed him off of me, forgetting about my mother for a second. "Shut up, I don't switch languages that often," I said, rolling my eyes and letting out a snort of laughter.

You will be happy.  My mother's words echoed in my mind. 

Be brave.

I wiped my eyes and nose, putting my glasses back on and pushing them up.

I'm not brave...

Yet.

Fighting back the urge to break down again, I spoke. My voice cracked a bit, and was nowhere near perfect, but... It was a start.

"Hey, Jer?" I said. "Do you want to go out and get slushees?"

I don't care how short this is. I like it.

Word count: 954